Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidiare French Door - Ice Maker Not Working

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Model # FPHB2899LF

Serial # 4A02114733

I have installed the upgrade kit for this ice maker, and still I am not getting any ice.

The icemold is in the left position with no water or ice in the mold. When I run through the troubleshooting guide, all of the tests check out ok.

I am not sure where to go next.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

http://www.emaservic...od_Icemaker.pdf

This may not appy to your model, seeing that the serial number run is not in this range.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 04 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Checked the electrical connections and they all appear to be good.

Interesting part is that I can pour water into the ice mold and then turn on the ice maker. The mold will move into the left position and freeze the cubes. The harvest cycle is suppose to start when the ice mold temp drops to 28 degrees. I have checked the temp and it drops to 24 degrees, but will not start the process.

#4 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

R1006120-00008.png

It would be a good Ideal to check the thermistors, in the ice compartment? for proper resistance at the different temps. Scott I can't get your link to work.

Edited by Comstock_Services, 08 February 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

What's the temperature inside the freezer? Does it get colder than 24 F?

I think it needs to be around 16F for it to start cycling on it's on.

Edited by tpoindexter, 08 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Test

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,018 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

What's the temperature inside the freezer? Does it get colder than 24 F?
I think it needs to be around 16F for it to start cycling on it's on.

I always tell people to check fridge temps first when there is an ice maker problem and I explain why. So they can remember for future references (but mainly so they call me as opposed to ignoring a failed ice maker), I tell them the ice maker can be like a canary in a mine shaft as it can let you know there may be a catastrophic major problem on the horizon... or a bad valve.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

That crazy piece of crap icemaker isn't in the freezer compartment.  It has it's own compartment in the refrigerator section with it's own evaporator and fan system along with a complete computer to run the show.

I'm sure glad I've never had to work on one of these yet, (If I get one I will refuse the job!!!).

I was amazed at that contraption the first time I had seen one, it was right where it belonged, in the scrapyard probably only a year or less old and scrapped out.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

I will only work on them if it's an out of warranty call. I refuse to work on this piece of crap for Frigidaire's warranty rate of $60.

Scott Wolf

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

That crazy piece of crap icemaker isn't in the freezer compartment.  It has it's own compartment in the refrigerator section with it's own evaporator and fan system along with a complete computer to run the show.

I'm sure glad I've never had to work on one of these yet, (If I get one I will refuse the job!!!).

I was amazed at that contraption the first time I had seen one, it was right where it belonged, in the scrapyard probably only a year or less old and scrapped out.

I didn't even look at the schematic and have never worked on one before neither. I will study it just to understand it....but I will refuse to work on it as well.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#10 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I  went on a call for an icemaker not working. Got there an looked at it a liitle then told the customer I was sorry but they'd need to call someone else. I couldn't get away from it fast enough. That's the kind of ignorance that upsets me at engineers.

Edited by tpoindexter, 10 February 2013 - 07:31 AM.

Test

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,934 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

A couple of videos that may help:

Getting into Ice Maker Service Mode on the Frigidaire French Door Refrigerators

Troubleshooting No-Ice Complaints in Frigidaire / Electrolux French Door Refrigerators

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I will study it just to understand it....but I will refuse to work on it as well.

So you're going to go get your engineering degree and computer science degree just to understand how that thing works then just throw all that learnin time way by not using it??? :kopkrab:  :kopkrab:

I got a headache just reading the tech manual telling how to run diagnostics on that piece of crap!!!!

I think Frickadaire locked a bunch of engineers in a lab and made them all drop a couple tabs of acid and said make us an icemaker that no one can figure out and that will never work right most of the time!!

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 10 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

So you're going to go get your engineering degree and computer science degree just to understand how that thing works then just throw all that learnin time way by not using it??? :kopkrab: :kopkrab:

You mean you don't study things you find interesting even though there is no expected practical use for it? I find that just as perplexing. Guess that's why folks are different, huh? Heck, I study many things I expect never to use. Military strategy/history for example.. Hannibal's victory at Cannae... fascinating.. have several books on it but I don't plan on double enveloping anyone in the forseeable future. Last month I spent time learning and quizzing myself on US state capitals. No need for me to do that, visiting all of them certainly ain't on my bucket list. (now comes the "however" part)

However (see, told ya), studying something even tangentially related to what I do for a living, brings the added benefit of potentially increasing my value. Especially if I enjoy it. Who knows, there may be a brilliant concept hidden in there. If not, I will still learn something valuable. One learns from studying success and how to do something but one can learn just as much from studying failures and how not to do something.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 10 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,934 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

However (see, told ya), studying something even tangentially related to what I do for a living, brings the added benefit of potentially increasing my value. Especially if I enjoy it. Who knows, there may be a brilliant concept hidden in there. If not, I will still learn something valuable. One learns from studying success and how to do something but one can learn just as much from studying failures and how not to do something.

Wisdom!  Let us attend!  

I've come to realize that anything you learn just adds to your Life Bag o' Tricks.  All those Fun Facts to Know and Tell get dumped into that big cement mixer betwixt our ears, recombining with other stuff and WALLA! the next great Apple computer is invented, or the next great mouse trap is born.  Plus, continually learning new things, anything as long as it's new to you, is the single most effective way to keep from getting Alzheimer's.  And it's just plain fun.  

On a more practical side, learning about new technology, even if it's poorly conceived and executed, can only have a direct benefit for us.  We're in the technology trade, mah bruvahs, and the more technology you learn, the more you gain insight into the good, the bad, and the ugly that's out there in the appliance world.  For Professional Appliantologists, that can only translate into higher earning potential.  

#15 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

AMEN! My inquisitive brothers of appliantology.  

#16 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

I study almost every early morning & evening about appliance repair (except when fishing then I study the water, birds, fish slicks, etc.)  I bone up on everything I am going to tackle today tomorrow & next week.   Makes me better prepared and a better service repairman. :thumbsup:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

I guess it didn't really come thru very good, that was suppose to be a funny....  :wacko: 

I totally agree with every you you said Durham!!!!

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#18 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I think everyone knew that Willie. Ya gotta admit it was funny how it blew up on ya though. :woot:

Test

#19 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

You never know what you get when you open a box of chocolate. :turned:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#20 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

too many big words....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics