Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
SheltonRD66

Frigidiare French Door - Ice Maker Not Working

44 posts in this topic

can you turn it down some to see if it starts?

Edited by tpoindexter

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

can you turn it down some to see if it starts?

Turn the freezer down to - 6 degrees and the fridge to +33 degrees. Still no ice, but my beer is much colder now!

too many big words....

Macaroni

Marmelade

Did you put a thermometer in the actual icemaker box compartment to see what the temp is in the icemaker enclosure box?

It has it's own evaporator in this box and will be at a complete different temp then the refrig compartment or the freezer compartment.  This enclosure is basically a complete mini freezer inside the refrig compartment.

I don't know the history behind all the service upgrades to these units but from the bit I read around hear I believe it went thru 2 or maybe 3 service upgrades which involved replacing the computer/board that controls the icemaker, (I think that board is mounted behind one of the covers on the rear of the unit).

Were you able to check the thermistor on the Finger evap that goes inside the icemaker mold? Check it with a multi meter.

Did you put a thermometer in the actual icemaker box compartment to see what the temp is in the icemaker enclosure box?

It has it's own evaporator in this box and will be at a complete different temp then the refrig compartment or the freezer compartment.  This enclosure is basically a complete mini freezer inside the refrig compartment.

I don't know the history behind all the service upgrades to these units but from the bit I read around hear I believe it went thru 2 or maybe 3 service upgrades which involved replacing the computer/board that controls the icemaker, (I think that board is mounted behind one of the covers on the rear of the unit).

Temp in the IM box is + 10 degrees.

I have the latest upgrade kit available with the new control board installed.

Were you able to check the thermistor on the Finger evap that goes inside the icemaker mold? Check it with a multi meter.

I did this and I am getting a reading of 66.352, which according to the service manual equates to about -1 degrees.

My guess is that the IM is working correctly, however something else is keeping it from turning on.

This refrigerator is suppose to go into a "Freezer Recovery Mode" if the freezer temp is +8 degrees warmer then the set point. At that point the IM will no longer make ice. So I opened the freezer door until this condition existed, however the IM test for this did not show it to be in "FRM".

Wondering if there is a communication issue between the main control board and the IM control board, or something along those lines?

I'm no expert on these things by any means, but I thought there was only 1 board that had to do with the ice maker and its the main board on the bottom.

I'm no expert on these things by any means, but I thought there was only 1 board that had to do with the ice maker and its the main board on the bottom.

The IM control board is on the back of the refrigerator. The main control board is underneath the frigerator.

I am probably less of an expert then you are!

With all the tests passing that are directly related to the IM, it just seems there has to be something else that is stopping it from running.

Going to give it a few more days of tinkering on it, and if it does not work I will be adding an icemaker in the freezer compartment. Luckily it is wired and plumbed for one.

Sorry Shelton, I've worked on three of these and only been able to fix 2 of them so far. I just read that the fan wasn't running in the ice compartment, and you fixed that, Did anything change after that?

No change after fixing the fan, other then the Ice Maker enclosure gets colder now.

So if I'm correct the mold moves to the left after it fills, and then it sits (parked) at the evaporator and never moves from the evaporator, even after the cubes have formed in the mold? does this sound right?

So if I'm correct the mold moves to the left after it fills, and then it sits (parked) at the evaporator and never moves from the evaporator, even after the cubes have formed in the mold? does this sound right?

Originally it would never fill with water. It just moved into the left position and stayed there. Last night, all of a sudden, it made two batches of ice. The only thing I did yesterday was check the thermistor, and the tempature in the ice box, so not sure what woudl have changed that caused it to make ice.

Now it is how you have described it. Mold in left position, cubes are formed, and it stays there.

then I would guess that it has something to do with the thermistor, even though you said it checks good, with your meter. It's possible that the board is not reading the proper input from the thermistor, so I would ask you to check the resistance of the thermistor at the ice maker control, on the back. This is just to once and for all eliminate the thermistor.

The basic principal is that the unit fills, makes the cubes, the thermistor senses the change in temp, and then the unit cycles the hot gas valve, and moves the mold to fill, The hot gas valve lets the evaporator warm up so that the cubes can drop, and fill the bucket, after the cubes drop the thermistor again senses the temp change and then shuts down the hot gas valve, and the process starts all over again.  

BTW There are several repair kits for these IM, I just dont know the part numbers to order to get them going again. If someone was factory authorised they maybe could find and post the service updates, and that may help shed some more light on the subject.

then I would guess that it has something to do with the thermistor, even though you said it checks good, with your meter. It's possible that the board is not reading the proper input from the thermistor, so I would ask you to check the resistance of the thermistor at the ice maker control, on the back. This is just to once and for all eliminate the thermistor.

The basic principal is that the unit fills, makes the cubes, the thermistor senses the change in temp, and then the unit cycles the hot gas valve, and moves the mold to fill, The hot gas valve lets the evaporator warm up so that the cubes can drop, and fill the bucket, after the cubes drop the thermistor again senses the temp change and then shuts down the hot gas valve, and the process starts all over again.  

BTW There are several repair kits for these IM, I just dont know the part numbers to order to get them going again. If someone was factory authorised they maybe could find and post the service updates, and that may help shed some more light on the subject.

OK, I checked the thermistors at the back of the refrigerator. The Ice Mold thermistor reads 69.2, which equates to -2 degrees. The evaporator thermistor reads 16.6 which equates to +54 degrees.

OK, I checked the thermistors at the back of the refrigerator. The Ice Mold thermistor reads 69.2, which equates to -2 degrees. The evaporator thermistor reads 16.6 which equates to +54 degrees.

It looks like the Evaporator thermistor may be bad, you should be reading colder then +54 degrees on the evap for the Ice maker, especially if there are cubes formed in the mold.

I think this is the part you needhttp://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Sensor-Cable/5303918416/1533035?modelNumber=FPHB2899LF1

Edited by Comstock_Services

It looks like the Evaporator thermistor may be bad, you should be reading colder then +54 degrees on the evap for the Ice maker, especially if there are cubes formed in the mold.

I think this is the part you needhttp://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Sensor-Cable/5303918416/1533035?modelNumber=FPHB2899LF1

I will try this and post the results when I get it installed. Appreciate the help!

It is making cubes in the mold correct?