Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidiare French Door - Ice Maker Not Working

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

<<<too many big words....>>>

Actually every "big" word becomes quite small when they're known/understood :)

Some people are indeed very intelligent---and the use of "big" words is a natural.

Others use "big" words as a tactic to overwhelm an opponent during a debate/discussion. Much like Hannibal's double-envelopement strategy in war.

At times---"big" words are used to *conflate*---as a tactic (otherwise known as a "throwing a curveball")

These tactics are often employed by someone standing on uncertain or "shaky ground" during a robust debate (or has a weak hand so to speak).

Sorta like having a chat with a guy---who inexplicably switches to russian instead of english. <laugh>

Edited by john63, 11 February 2013 - 11:42 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the all the great advice, and rants! :rocker: If I had hair, I would be pulling it out by now as still no ice.

I checked the resistance on the thermistors. According to the chart in the service manual they are working. The Ice Mold is at 19 degrees, so it is cold enough that the harvest cycle should start.

I also checked the temps in the freezer and refrigerator compartments, 3 degrees and 38 degrees.

I have ran every test you can when in service mode, and they all come back as good.

The only problem I did find was that the IM evaporator fan was not running. Fixed the connection and it is working now.

Any other thoughts, other then target practice?

I may just opt to add an ice maker in the freezer compartment. If any body knows the correct model# for that, it would be appreciated.

#23 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

... The harvest cycle is suppose to start when the ice mold temp drops to 28 degrees.

Harvest cycle starts when the Mold Thermostat drops to +15F or colder,

but a higher temperature shouldn't prevent Fill

Did it pass the Water Valve Test ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#24 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes it does pass the water fill test.

#25 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Harvest cycle starts when the Mold Thermostat drops to +15F or colder,

but a higher temperature shouldn't prevent Fill

Did it pass the Water Valve Test ?

The 15 degrees is for the ice maker in the freezer compartment. I am working on the fresh food ice maker. Service manual states 28 degrees for the harvest cycle to start.

#26 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

can you turn it down some to see if it starts?

Edited by tpoindexter, 11 February 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Test

#27 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

can you turn it down some to see if it starts?

Turn the freezer down to - 6 degrees and the fridge to +33 degrees. Still no ice, but my beer is much colder now!

#28 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

too many big words....

Macaroni

Marmelade

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#29 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Did you put a thermometer in the actual icemaker box compartment to see what the temp is in the icemaker enclosure box?

It has it's own evaporator in this box and will be at a complete different temp then the refrig compartment or the freezer compartment.  This enclosure is basically a complete mini freezer inside the refrig compartment.

I don't know the history behind all the service upgrades to these units but from the bit I read around hear I believe it went thru 2 or maybe 3 service upgrades which involved replacing the computer/board that controls the icemaker, (I think that board is mounted behind one of the covers on the rear of the unit).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#30 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Were you able to check the thermistor on the Finger evap that goes inside the icemaker mold? Check it with a multi meter.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#31 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Did you put a thermometer in the actual icemaker box compartment to see what the temp is in the icemaker enclosure box?

It has it's own evaporator in this box and will be at a complete different temp then the refrig compartment or the freezer compartment.  This enclosure is basically a complete mini freezer inside the refrig compartment.

I don't know the history behind all the service upgrades to these units but from the bit I read around hear I believe it went thru 2 or maybe 3 service upgrades which involved replacing the computer/board that controls the icemaker, (I think that board is mounted behind one of the covers on the rear of the unit).

Temp in the IM box is + 10 degrees.

I have the latest upgrade kit available with the new control board installed.

#32 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Were you able to check the thermistor on the Finger evap that goes inside the icemaker mold? Check it with a multi meter.

I did this and I am getting a reading of 66.352, which according to the service manual equates to about -1 degrees.

#33 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

My guess is that the IM is working correctly, however something else is keeping it from turning on.

This refrigerator is suppose to go into a "Freezer Recovery Mode" if the freezer temp is +8 degrees warmer then the set point. At that point the IM will no longer make ice. So I opened the freezer door until this condition existed, however the IM test for this did not show it to be in "FRM".

Wondering if there is a communication issue between the main control board and the IM control board, or something along those lines?

#34 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'm no expert on these things by any means, but I thought there was only 1 board that had to do with the ice maker and its the main board on the bottom.

#35 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm no expert on these things by any means, but I thought there was only 1 board that had to do with the ice maker and its the main board on the bottom.

The IM control board is on the back of the refrigerator. The main control board is underneath the frigerator.

I am probably less of an expert then you are!

With all the tests passing that are directly related to the IM, it just seems there has to be something else that is stopping it from running.

Going to give it a few more days of tinkering on it, and if it does not work I will be adding an icemaker in the freezer compartment. Luckily it is wired and plumbed for one.

#36 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Sorry Shelton, I've worked on three of these and only been able to fix 2 of them so far. I just read that the fan wasn't running in the ice compartment, and you fixed that, Did anything change after that?

#37 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

No change after fixing the fan, other then the Ice Maker enclosure gets colder now.

#38 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

So if I'm correct the mold moves to the left after it fills, and then it sits (parked) at the evaporator and never moves from the evaporator, even after the cubes have formed in the mold? does this sound right?

#39 SheltonRD66

SheltonRD66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

So if I'm correct the mold moves to the left after it fills, and then it sits (parked) at the evaporator and never moves from the evaporator, even after the cubes have formed in the mold? does this sound right?

Originally it would never fill with water. It just moved into the left position and stayed there. Last night, all of a sudden, it made two batches of ice. The only thing I did yesterday was check the thermistor, and the tempature in the ice box, so not sure what woudl have changed that caused it to make ice.

Now it is how you have described it. Mold in left position, cubes are formed, and it stays there.

#40 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

then I would guess that it has something to do with the thermistor, even though you said it checks good, with your meter. It's possible that the board is not reading the proper input from the thermistor, so I would ask you to check the resistance of the thermistor at the ice maker control, on the back. This is just to once and for all eliminate the thermistor.

The basic principal is that the unit fills, makes the cubes, the thermistor senses the change in temp, and then the unit cycles the hot gas valve, and moves the mold to fill, The hot gas valve lets the evaporator warm up so that the cubes can drop, and fill the bucket, after the cubes drop the thermistor again senses the temp change and then shuts down the hot gas valve, and the process starts all over again.  

BTW There are several repair kits for these IM, I just dont know the part numbers to order to get them going again. If someone was factory authorised they maybe could find and post the service updates, and that may help shed some more light on the subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics