Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Capacitor for WBSE5290A0WW ?

Weak motor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

This is a wire in question to "fix" a GE washer motor.

Ge washer Model WBSE5290A0WW

The replacement motor is way too expensive to fix the "click on low speed" symptom so I was wonering if it's possible to wire in a Start or probably Run capacitor into the circuit.

I tried wireing in a whirlpool washer capacitor into the "white/red" wire which is the low speed power but only burnt out the capacitor.

Anyone have any ideas or is this a waste of time? (possibly beyond the scope of this site maybe)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

The wht/red wire is not low speed select, it is the neutral feed to the motor. Low speed is via the white wire. Your motor is starting just fine so a capacitor isn't going to do anything. The Whirlpool capacitor is for starting only and should not have continuous power applied to it as it will be destroyed. The problem you are having is most likely due to bad contacts in the motor switch. Even when low speed is selected, due to the motor switch, it will start in high speed and as soon as the motor comes up to speed, the centrifugal mechanism will switch it to low speed via the motor switch. The only way to fix it is to take the switch loose and open it up to get to the contacts to see if they can be salvaged, or you can just wire the motor to only operate in high speed.

Eric

#3 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I was pretty sure the start cap wouldn't work but I have a lot of them (used) so it was worth a shot. Odd that the white/red is neutral as it was the only one with 110v when switched on on slow speed. Maybe In a rush and missed it. Thinking through your description makes sense though. I'll see if I can actually get at the contacts when I get the time. For now I need to set this one aside for other machines.

Anyway. Thanks again.

Edited by Garpy, 07 February 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

This motor is not normally serviceable, however, I have repaired them. You must remove the rear cover of the motor to be able to pull the switch away from the motor to get into it. There is no replacement switch or parts for it that I am aware of. If your lucky, just the low speed contacts need cleaning.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics