Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Preaching to customers to fix their Whirlpool Direct Drive Top Load Washers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I replaced a basket drive and drive block on a 3 year old Whirlpool direct drive top load washer today.  Customer originally wanted to get rid of it and buy a new washer due to the $372.00 repair quote I gave them. I convinced them it was worth the money to get it fixed because they no longer make these washers and that they won't find another top load washer as durable and dependable as this washer.  I also told them it is rare on these for the drive block to get stripped enough to ruin the basket drive.   To me it is worth saving these washers from the junkyards no matter how much money is spent repairing them.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 06 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

To me it is worth slavaging these washers no matter how much money is spent repairing them.

I agree with the advice... and the repair fee quote.  

#3 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

There's something about the VMW plastic gears that turn the stomach!

Edited by Wingerman, 06 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#4 Anytime Nick

Anytime Nick

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Completely agree. These VMW's are junk.

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I tell customers that even if they eventually replace every part on their direct drive washer it's worth fixing.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,082 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

We have many customers calling our refurbish store looking for wp top load design. We had one customer who received a wp duet set for her aniversary but didn't have the heart to tell her husband she wanted a wp top load instead. She fabricated problems with the front load and wanted us to lie to hubby and say the Duet could not be fixed. Of course we wouldn't do that (customers will always remember and think negatively about your lack of ethics even if it benefited them).

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I try to keep the DD's in service too. It helps to tell the customers about the issues with new energy star machines. I tell them they won't get the temps they are used to, plus need for he soap, they are much more expensive to repair, and they do not clean as well as the direct drives with the dual action agitator. I tell them their washer is the best machine ever made, and I plan to keep mine running forever.

Nick.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I preach about this to my customers, as well as the dependable care maytags, not the Norge crap. I have been raised up working on the direct drives, I cant belive that I know a place that has a wharehouse full of roper direct drives. I send customers there if they need a replacement for a machine.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I wish we could have started  a petition to the US Dept of Energy, Energystar, and The US government to relax the energy efficiency standards.

They made Maytag get rid of the Dependable Care 2 belt washer, and they made Whirlpool get rid of the Direct Drive top load washers. It's too late for Whirlpool to bring back the direct drive washers, the Clyde, Ohio washing machine plant is already retooled for the VMW (Vertical Modular Washer) and for assembly of the Full size front load Duet washers.

Scott Wolf

#10 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Some cases are hopeless , some people are just waiting for something to happen to there old stuff to run out and buy a new washer !

in these cases ......I BUY  the old one !

there is not one homeowner that we service that does not know WE BUY USED APPLIANCES  !

when the world gives you lemons .....make lemonade .

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics