Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

AlexM

Dryer drum with crack that snages clothes, JB-Weld to repair?

12 posts in this topic

I haven't scene the nature of the 'crack' in the drum but the customer would love to fix it.  Its a 15 year old unit, but the customer is very attached to it.  What are some possible solutions, short of purchasing a new drum?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What are some possible solutions, short of purchasing a new drum?

Maybe getting a new customer? Sorry, couldn't resist... Anyhow, the "crack" could be nothing more than missing felt. If it's the metal, jb weld or better yet, a true weld may be good options. Edited by DurhamAppliance

Must be an older Amana, LG or Samsung dryer. Those 3 brands are notorious for developing cracks at the seams of the drum.

<<<Its a 15 year old unit>>>

LG and Samsung weren't *sold* in the North American market 15 years ago.

But I digress---being accurate and factual shouldn't matter on these forums,right?

Yeah, I stand corrected again.

You two guys are like an old married couple. Always nagging but rarely see one without the other.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Don't take it so personally, Durham.

We wouldn't want you to lose your "objectivity" :)

I have to admit, John, you are a pain in the ass!

Don't take it so personally, Durham.

We wouldn't want you to lose your "objectivity" :)

Lol no, but y'all are too silly. Now, if you want to analyze my previous statement, you may at first think I was referring to you and Scott since I said "y'all." Could be, since many people (yankees in particular) think that "y'all," as a contraction of "you all, " is always plural and referring to more than one person ie "Yous Guyz. "

But a Southerner understands that "y'all" is also a formal singular pronoun referring to only one person, and simply means "you." Very similar to the use of the usted and tu pronouns en la idioma de espanol. I digress...

A true southerner knows it takes 20 minutes to cook grits and the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all." So it begs the question, am I saying you guys are both too silly or just you? :)

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Could you repeat that a little slooweer?

gallery_70880_67_1274.jpg

I would think the basket is too thin for any repair to work or last. Plus, the repair would have to stay clear of any drim roller or slid type bearing.

I understood Durham, similar to the Pennsylvianian "younz"

If the crack is not to big and in a place where it can be stabilized, you might be able to use a lock nut on one side and a round head screw on the other, with fender washers sandwiching a couple of rubber washers(nothing that will melt).Give them a little arc to conform with the drum. Make sure there are no burs. Who knows. You might get some extra time out of it.