Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSD4020 Detergent Dispenser Wouldn't Open, Now Won't Close

GE Dispenser GSD4020

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 contact-point

contact-point

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fitz's regular

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

GE GSD4020 (GSD4020Z02BB) Profile QuietPower (purchased by us 1998) Detergent Dispenser does not open during wash cycle.  Other aspects of the wash cycle proceed as normal, as far as I know.  Takes the usual amount of time, seems to make the usual sounds.

I removed the inner door assembly to inspect the situation.  With the inner door removed, the detergent cup cover and latch move freely, and are strongly held open by the spring.  There was no physical damage to the latch that I could detect.  The timer lever and spring that attach adjacent to the sequence switch also appear intact and undamaged.  Two photographs of the detergent cup latch and the timer and trip lever attached.

I think I have two questions:

1)  How do I figure out what part needs to be replaced?

2)  After that, how do I get the detergent cup latch and the trip lever correctly aligned/engaged when I put this mess back together?

Other notes:  This washer was subject to the 2007 rinse-aid recall, and the permanent cover for the rinse-aid tank was installed.  However, we never used rinse-aid, and I could not see any obvious signs that the circuitry had been wet.  I have found and reviewed these two documents here:

31-3281 Built-in DW Gen II E4 E5 controls.pdf (pages 17-18)

31-9004ZmodelDW.pdf (pages 16-17)

but the two pages in each that seem relevent did not give me enough insight to figure this out.  Thanks for any insight others may provide.

Attached File  SmallDetLatch.jpg   25.49KB   12 downloads Attached File  SmallSeqTrip.jpg   70.27KB   11 downloads

(Edited to add full model number, model number tag.)

(Edited to update title...)

Edited by contact-point, 17 February 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

You should be able to visually check these parts. They're are cheap, so, if you have any question at all about one being good replace it. Make sure the dispenser lid moves easily when you manually move the lever.
http://www.repaircli...Dispenser-Parts
Dispenser-Lever-WD16X313-00813535.jpg

Dispenser-Lever-WD16X10011-01067530.jpg

Dispenser-Lever-WD12X324-00934826.jpg

If all the above check to be good manually turn the timer and watch how the arm works. If the timer fails to move the arm then you'll probably need to replace the cam in the timer.

http://www.repaircli...ard-Timer-Parts
Timer-Cam-WD16X316-00609091.jpg

As far as how you get it back together right, well here's a couple of tips:
1) take pictures, notes, and use marker to mark parts  before removing
2) with timer set to off, when you close the dispenser lid it should stay locked into position. (don't force dispenser open, locking teeth on levers aren't that great)
3) as you play with it during inspection you'll see how to get it back together right because you;ll start to understand it , and how it's working.

If your best efforts fail:
1) just throw detergent in the bottom and let it run
2) throw it outside and use for target practice, or, figure out how to blow it up
3) if you go with 2) post youtube video

Test

#3 contact-point

contact-point

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Tpoindexter,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my plea for guidance.

It looks like I should have been more specific with the model number -- those last digits seem to determine more than color and retailer.  My ignorance has shown.  These are the parts for my dishwasher:

Similar, but the lever that connects to the timer and the timer itself are different.

I understand what you mean about marking and watching, but I don't see how to do that in this case.  My timer has no external knob on the front of the washer, and no visible turning protrusion that looks like I could grab it, so I don't see how to turn it by hand.  The timer is attached to the outer metal part of the door, and the soap dispenser is attached to the inner, plastic part of the door.  When you remove the seven screws that attach plastic to metal, and lift the inner door assembly out, the detergent cup release arm (WD16X10011) and the timer trip lever (actuation lever, WD12X10019) disengage, (both spring-loaded, after all) and there you are.  I was not smart enough to just crack inner and outer door assemblies apart and look inside, or, better, take a photo through the crack.  It looks like the sort of thing where I would have to put it almost together, and then reach in and fit those two items together in the right way.

With the trip lever and the dispenser latch disengaged, both the trip lever and the dispenser cover move freely, apart from the spring resistance.  These plastic parts all look fine, without visible wear or any bits broken off.

#4 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Tpoindexter,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my plea for guidance.

It looks like I should have been more specific with the model number -- those last digits seem to determine more than color and retailer.  My ignorance has shown.  These are the parts for my dishwasher:

Sorry, I meant to warn ya bout that but got involved in trying to explain how ya get er done.

Similar, but the lever that connects to the timer and the timer itself are different.

I understand what you mean about marking and watching, but I don't see how to do that in this case.  My timer has no external knob on the front of the washer, and no visible turning protrusion that looks like I could grab it, so I don't see how to turn it by hand. 

I haven't worked on one without the knob that you can turn. But, the point was in the off position (end of wash) when you close the dispenser the arm attach to the dispenser should be positioned to where it will contact the arm from the timer. They both have teeth that lock them together until you start the cycle and the timer moves the timer arm releasing the dispenser arm allowing the dispenser to open. 

The timer is attached to the outer metal part of the door, and the soap dispenser is attached to the inner, plastic part of the door.  When you remove the seven screws that attach plastic to metal, and lift the inner door assembly out, the detergent cup release arm (WD16X10011) and the timer trip lever (actuation lever, WD12X10019) disengage, (both spring-loaded, after all) and there you are.  I was not smart enough to just crack inner and outer door assemblies apart and look inside, or, better, take a photo through the crack.  It looks like the sort of thing where I would have to put it almost together, and then reach in and fit those two items together in the right way.

Forget about looking at it that way. Just make sure when the dispenser door closes the arms will come together allowing teeth to lock together. You can feel it when pushing the lid closed.

With the trip lever and the dispenser latch disengaged, both the trip lever and the dispenser cover move freely, apart from the spring resistance.  These plastic parts all look fine, without visible wear or any bits broken off.

If all those parts are good including timer cam then it sound like it might be the timer. I'm just not (familiar) comfortable diagnosing that.

But, sounds like you've eliminated all the mechanical parts from the dispenser up to the timer.

Edited by tpoindexter, 08 February 2013 - 12:15 AM.

Test

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

If before you disassembled everything the detergent dispenser was closing OK and staying closed but just not opening during the cycle, then the cover/latch handle/lever, (all parts on the inner door liner are OK).  As long as when you have the inner door panel off and try to close the cover it just springs right back open and nothing is interfering with its movement.

As far as putting it back together, there is nothing to line up.  Just the drop the panel back down in place and reattach with all the screws, everything will be back in position.

Usually on these units, what happens is the detergent cover won't stay closed because the catch lever that mounts in the timer cam has a tension spring and the mount post for the spring breaks.  Your unit doesn't have the standard timer that you can move by turning the timer knob, it is electronic and the sequencer turns the cam and moves the release lever at the correct point.

You most likely have a problem with the sequencer or motor that turns the release lever cam.  Looking at the parts break down the cam that actuates the release lever is built into the sequencer/timer unit, so maybe whatever turns the cam inside the sequencer is broken.  Make sure the release lever that is attached under the sequencer is still attached to the spring, (gently move the lever by hand and see if it has a spring tension feel when you push on the end that would contact the cover lever).

Opening a closed detergent door cover on these units after latching it closed but without turning the timer dial doesn't cause any type of damage.  The handle and cover are designed so that if latched and you don't turn the timer to open it, turning the cover handle will open the cover without stripping anything out.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 08 February 2013 - 07:20 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 contact-point

contact-point

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yes, before disassembly the detergent cover closed and stayed closed, and did not open during the cycle.

Yes, with two pieces of the door apart, the detergent cover moves freely, apart from the spring resistance, and snaps open unless you hold it shut.

Yes, the timer trip lever has a spring attached.  The spring is also attached at the other end, and is still springy.

Sounds like it is time to order a timer.  Thanks to tpoindexter and Mr. Burk.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

... Sounds like it is time to order a timer.

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=271329

Timer-WD21X10018-00593406.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

One other thing to check is to make sure the release trip lever that rides on the sequencer cam is not somehow not riding on the cam correctly.  Possibly the sequencer mounting points broken or loose and not letting the release trip lever ride on the cam correctly.

I would think that the sequencer/timer motor would have to be running or the machine wouldn't go thru the rest of the cycles correctly.  I've never dealt with one of these models with the sequencer/timer unit so I don't know how the sequence cam that controls the detergent cup release trip lever interfaces with the rest of the sequencer unit.  Possibly a plastic gear that turns the cam is broken so the rest of the sequencer/timer unit works OK but just the cam doesn't move?

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 contact-point

contact-point

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I come once more to seek the wisdom of the masters.

I ordered the timer (Timer WD21X10018), it arrived yesterday.  I installed it today and put things back together.  Re-reading the owner's manual, it says that the soap cover won't close unless the cycle has completed.  (makes sense if the timer has a cam that trips it open).  Also, if you punch reset 3 times in 2 seconds with the door open, the soap cover will open.  I interpreted that to mean that the timer would run all around at high speed, and return to starting position.  I reassembled the washer, hit reset 3 times to make sure it was at the start location, and then tried to close the soap cover.  It won't stay closed.  I'm stumped.  I got into this mess because it would close, but would not open.  Now it won't stay closed.  I thought about how I could get more information, and figured a picture is good, right?  I taped a USB inspection camera to the top of the rinse aid dispenser tank, fed the cable out through the bottom of the door, screwed the door back together, and took two short videos (both less than 20 seconds).  DW1 shows what happens inside the door when I try to close the soap cover.  The second time I push more firmly, to see if it will latch.  DW2 shows what happens when the timer runs through the cycle, and the lever that is tripped by the timer moves.

Here's a link to my flickr photostream, where you can see these two short videos.

http://www.flickr.co...s/93341828@N08/

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics