Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer runs when empty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MachinistNotMechanic

MachinistNotMechanic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

Dryer ran when no clothes were loaded, but seem kinda slow to me but not sure,, then I put some clothes in and then it just whined and wouldn't turn ,,Took dryer all apart and cleaned everything, and installed new belt, drum turned pretty easily,, Same problem ran when empty but not when loaded ???? motor, bearing time to buy a new one ???? would rather fix it If I could but just quit smoking and my paitence are not quite what they used to be may  take hammer to it if I dont fix it soon   

:yikes: please give me some advice if you could

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PK

PK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

I do not see a brand or model number??  Would help if we knew more.  You could have a motor going bad , bad rollers, bearing, idler pulley, belt upside down, etc., or something in the vent housing rubbing on the blower wheel, but hard to help wihout knowing more information, please.  Pegi
"Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma Since 1978"

#3 MachinistNotMechanic

MachinistNotMechanic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

Maytag LDE9206ACE ,, sorry put it in description first post well anyway,, rollers seem fine  like I said drum turns freely, idler seems ok as well, followed online diagram for belt , confident it is on correctly, blower housing is clean and turns freely,, as stated before works when empty but not when loaded,, motor just moans but will not turn drum.. if I take out motor and bearings turn fine I have to assume the motor is bad,, can motor be bad and turn drum with no load ??

#4 kingsx

kingsx

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:43 AM

First, is the belt you placed on the motor pulley "backwards'?
The grooves on the real Maytag motor pulley are opposed to the grooves on the belt-unlike the whirlpool and GE, et al.

If it's a real maytag it's worth a new motor
If it's the admiral- maytag - junk it.

I'm not sure about the model number, but if there's a solid steel inner assy behind the door
that had to be removed with 4 or more 5/16 screws, to install the belt
and there are  2 teflon glides with cork under them on this assy, please check them for wear
     These could bind the drum and  drag a motor down.

Yes,  a motor can get weak and stupid and not pull a proper load -
especially if the bearings and glides have worn out from extra cap loads - or from dirty or low voltage conditions.

If the dryer sides are flimsy with the front removed, and no seperate inner steel support to hold up the drum, you have the admiral. Buy a whirlpool with the widest door opening which pulls down.

If your unit has these components described above earlier,
 this makes it a true old fashioned Maytag,  then keep it forever. 

bon chance.  kx

#5 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:45 AM

Ah our impatient moaning friend, sit down and fire up a smoke. I would bet dollars to donuts you need a new motor and since you have gone this far you might as well GIT-R-DONE and replace the motor which you can get here from Repair Clinic:gimmebeer:

#6 MachinistNotMechanic

MachinistNotMechanic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the advice guys (except for liting up a smoke hehe) I believe it is a "real" maytag has 4 screws holding the front brace on, its about 9 yrs old, in great shape,, I have to go with the motor because drum turns freely by hand even when loaded but motor won't turn it   so I guess I will be replacing it,, and hope for the best........                  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics