Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
tpoindexter

Microwave rvm1535dm2bb blows control board

7 posts in this topic

Hotpoint microwave 2010.

Got a call that this unit was dead.

Went out and found the control board not illuminated or accepting any input from touchpad.

Checked for current and found current going into microwave up to the board.

Followed instructions on tech sheet went through steps that led me to bad pcb.

Replaced PCB unit worked. Ran it 3 times for a total of about 2 minutes and left.

Customer called back next day and said it was dead again just like before.

Will be going back and checking voltage, fuse, and see if it's the board that's really bad again.

Any suggestions?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

has this M/W worked OK up ill now at this location ?

any visible damage to the Board ? 

pictures ?

has this M/W worked OK up ill now at this location ?

any visible damage to the Board ? 

pictures ?

I'll need to find out.

No.

No.

I need to take more pictures while working on appliances.

No telling what you'll find-- just go into it with Zen Mind - Troubleshooter's Mind and don't assume anything.  Treat it like a new problem and start by verifying voltage at then outlet than work your way inside the microwave and go from there.  

Ok, here's what I've done.

Lady was rushing me to get it done so to get her off my back I told her I could come by and pick it up. She agreed.

Got it one the bench, opened it up and found the thermostat open.

Also realized I was in such a hurry I didn't check to see if anything was left in it.

I found a glass plate and piece of toast.

Jumped the thermostat and ran it with water in it for 3 minutes. heated fine.

Installed new thermostat ran 3 minutes and it ran fine.

Installed cover an ran for 5 minutes. Worked fine.

Will return microwave and check outlet voltage.

Any thoughts?

One of my thoughts is the microwave needs to be ran with a load. Toast isn't much of a load. Don't know how long she was running it for. But I'll ask.

I'm not sure how long you can run a microwave without a load. Anyone know anything about that?

Microwave energy has an affinity for and is attracted to water.  Microwave ovens work by making the water molecules vibrate rapidly and this, in turn, creates the heat in the food.  Without sufficient water in the oven cavity to absorb the microwave energy, the excess microwaves will bounce all around including back at the magnetron causing early magnetron failure.  That's why there's thermal protection both on the magnetron and the oven cavity.  

How much water is there in a slice of bread?

How effective do you suppose a microwave oven would be at heating up a slice of bread?   

Sounds like an opportunity for customer education (all of this explained in her owner's manual, BTW).  This should also be treated as a completely new service call because this had nothing to do with your previous repair.  If she complains, just explain to her, "Yes, ma'am, I agree: it's expensive to be willfully ignorant and mistreat your appliances.  That'll be $195 for the repair plus $75 pickup and delivery charge.  Would you like fries with that?" 

... How much water is there in a slice of bread?

less water in a slice of toast ...

If there's not enough "food" in the M/W, place a cup with water along with the "food"