Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Scrud removal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Venerable Amana LWD37AW has started to leave brown stains on our clothes. I'm thinking it's NOT grease..but rather scrud as we use Dreft/liquid ALL and cold water nearly all the time!

I can't seem to suss out how to access the inner tub for removal and cleaning. I've looked at some generic YouTube vids but to cabinet top doesnt seen to allow any way to flip it up to get to the tubs.

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS given that liquid detergent is a major cause of this buildup..what is preferred?  Powdered detergents??

Edited by davemcsjr, 11 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

try some affresh tablets that will clean it up

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hot water, Cascade dishwasher detergent, and bleach. 

Fill on highest setting with hot water, then add a bucket full of hot water to get the crud ring under water. Put a full cup of cascade and bleach and let it wash for several minutes. Then shut it off and let it soak for several hours. Then start it up and let it finish the cycle. If it drains into a sink, take a look at all the junk that comes out. You can do this as often as needed.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thank you folks, I shall give each a whirl.  Since I have the cascade and bleach on hand..that will go first. Then Affresh as phase two..and maybe as monthly maintainance. Either is considerably easier than dissasembly!

How high can I safely fill the tub to get to the "high and dry" crud levels? 

#5 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Follow up...

I'm starting to think it's not a buildup issue. Ran cycles of bleach, vinegar and Affresh and each time the little lines of grease are on the bottom of the inner tub. Since the tub is spinning, it only seems correct to assume they are emanating out from under the agitator rather than oozing in through the inner tub holes.

Is there a bearing or some fitting under the agitator that may have failed, spilliing its grease into and onto my laundry?

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Remove agitator and clean underneath it.

Test

#7 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Is my agitator bolted on or on a splined fitting?

The fabric softener reservoir pops right off, revealing a secondary chamber below..this does not appear to be removable and pulling up on the AG did not free it either.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

there should be a 7/16th bolt in the center. After you get that out you have to pull hard to get it off the spline. I've found a cursing helps when pulling it off the spline.

or

you could run the processes suggested above till it gets clean

Edited by tpoindexter, 15 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Test

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

NO.  This is an old school Amana washer. The agitator is pushed on the drive bell. It is NOT bolted on.  You might need a strap under the agitator or a tool called the AGITAMER to lift it up.

http://www.whirlpool...previousPage=12

Edited by Scottthewolf, 15 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Scott Wolf

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

These old school Amana washers were also notorious for the transmissions leaking oil at the shaft seal.

Scott Wolf

#11 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think Scott has it right with the oil leak...if so I would cut and run. Unless you're game for a big expensive rebuild.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#12 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

I was leaning towards cutting and running. This was not a repair I was comfortable attempting myself and The seal kit at my cost was $100..once the installer marked it up and added labor, I may as well replace it!

After poring over the site we were going to go with an LG 4870cw UNTIL...I started looking into Speed Queen...great reviews..made in the USA (a big plus for this Union family) and about the same cost! So we are off the the local appliance store and price one out

Thanks much guys..your assistance is always appreciated

#13 davemcsjr

davemcsjr

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Funny how things seem to come around again...The Circle of Wash I guess!

As I looked into the history of our Amana (by way of Raytheon) it turns out that Raytheon's "commercial" division was..Speed Queen!

Now here I am 15+ years later..replcing our inherited Ray-mana's with their distant cousins! 

They do look similar in style and the controls panels are close..but by all accounts the SQ's are built to last..//

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics