Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Dependable Care Dryer -- noisy and longer drying times

maytag

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Greetings,

I've got an older (~13 years, maybe?) Maytag Dependable Care dryer (MDG9316AWW) with a couple of issues:

1. It's taking between 1.5 and 2 hours to dry a load, whereas previously around an hour would be enough. This started rather suddenly a couple of months ago now.
  2. It's been noisy for a long time...no screeching, just...well...loud!

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Cleaned out the dryer vent duct and the entire insides of the dryer. It feels like there's good air flow at the rear of the dryer and the duct outlet (~20 feet of ducting).
  2. Replaced the belt
  3. Replaced one of the two rear drum rollers, as it was loose and noisy on its shaft
  4. Replaced the front shroud and both front tub bearings (they had worn through and damaged the shroud underneath)
  5. Tested the air temperature at the rear of the dryer. It cycles between roughly 135 and 157.
  6. Listened to the gas solenoids cycling regularly and watched the pretty blue flame :)

So even after all this, it's still slow to dry and noisy (although not as loud as before)

Is the next step to replace the fan blower? It feels solid on the shaft, but I'm no expert! I really don't know if the loudness is the 'rumbling' that's described as the characteristic of the slipping fan blower or not. Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Scott

Edited by firecat53, 12 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

If the temperature is good (it is)

then it's an air-flow problem

OR the clothes are to wet from the Washer (not spun out)

Try a load with the Vent disconnected ..

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

In addition to the blower wheel,the belt tension roller can be a source of noise.

#4 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Tried drying a load with the vent disconnected (sorry, forgot to add that to first post)...it helped a little bit but not much (maybe 15min better time). Also, I don't think it's the washer because the clothes dried normally when we were using our friend's dryer.

So by saying it's an air flow problem, do you mean that replacing the blower wheel could be a good next step?

Thanks!

Scott

Edit: post youtube video? You mean so you can hear the noise?

Edited by firecat53, 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#5 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes, if you could post a youtube video so we could hear the noise it may help, to determine what the problem is.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#6 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ok...first Youtube video ever :)

Hopefully the sound comes across ok.

Thanks!

Scott

#7 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Dang dude.

That's a lot of noise.

Remove the blower wheel and run the dryer.

If noise is gone,replace the blower wheel.

If noise is still there....get back to us.

#8 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yep....blower wheel :) <off to order it> Thanks for the tip...I wouldn't have thought to run the dryer without the blower wheel installed!

Scott

Blower Wheel part link ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MDG9316AWW

Blower-Wheel-33001790-00557958.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 13 February 2013 - 07:26 AM.
Added part link.

#9 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Run the dryer with door open,let go of the door switch. If you hear noise after the drum has stopped then the blower is freewheeling.

#10 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ok...I ordered a moisture sensor too to replace along with my blower wheel. Where the heck does it go??? I see it in the exploded parts diagram in the tumbler section, but I can't find it for the life of me!! I even traced the wires...don't see where it could possibly go :/ I'm feelin' a bit dense at the moment....

Thanks!

Scott

Edit: If I had to guess it would be someplace here, on the outlet of the blower, but I don't see anything that looks the same there.

Attached: picture of my blower wheel assembly. Here is the moisutre sensor that I have.

Attached Files

Edited by firecat53, 15 February 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#11 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Open the door, stick your head in the dryer facing down. Should be on the front bulkhead, usually on the right. It senses by clothes touching it, and when clothes are wet it discharges the electrical field charge across its polls. I hope that description is clear enough.

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

also, the Sensor Bars (shown in the parts list) are just a pair of metal strips that the clothes touch

and unless damaged, are usually OK.

Normally connected to a Dryness Controller, but I don't see one on your parts list, nor wiring diagram

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 firecat53

firecat53

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Open the door, stick your head in the dryer facing down. Should be on the front bulkhead, usually on the right. It senses by clothes touching it, and when clothes are wet it discharges the electrical field charge across its polls. I hope that description is clear enough.

Nope...weird! The only things attached to the front bulkhead are the door light and door switch!

also, the Sensor Bars (shown in the parts list) are just a pair of metal strips that the clothes touch

and unless damaged, are usually OK.

Normally connected to a Dryness Controller, but I don't see one on your parts list, nor wiring diagram

Hummmm...well....that's odd. There's an 'Auto-Dry' setting on the controls that hasn't worked right in years, so I was assuming it'd be a moisture sensor problem. Ah well...not a big deal...and it was only $14, so it's prob not worth the shipping to return it.

Got the new blower wheel installed...wow what a difference!! Thanks all yet again for your help!!

#14 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Auto Dry is not the same as Electronic Dryness Control. Auto Dry uses a temperature sensor to advance the timer where Electronic Dryness Control uses the moisture contacts like you ordered coupled with a charge capacitor on an electronic control board. Both technologies date well back to the early 60s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics