Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

firecat53

Maytag Dependable Care Dryer -- noisy and longer drying times

14 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I've got an older (~13 years, maybe?) Maytag Dependable Care dryer (MDG9316AWW) with a couple of issues:

1. It's taking between 1.5 and 2 hours to dry a load, whereas previously around an hour would be enough. This started rather suddenly a couple of months ago now.
  2. It's been noisy for a long time...no screeching, just...well...loud!

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Cleaned out the dryer vent duct and the entire insides of the dryer. It feels like there's good air flow at the rear of the dryer and the duct outlet (~20 feet of ducting).
  2. Replaced the belt
  3. Replaced one of the two rear drum rollers, as it was loose and noisy on its shaft
  4. Replaced the front shroud and both front tub bearings (they had worn through and damaged the shroud underneath)
  5. Tested the air temperature at the rear of the dryer. It cycles between roughly 135 and 157.
  6. Listened to the gas solenoids cycling regularly and watched the pretty blue flame :)

So even after all this, it's still slow to dry and noisy (although not as loud as before)

Is the next step to replace the fan blower? It feels solid on the shaft, but I'm no expert! I really don't know if the loudness is the 'rumbling' that's described as the characteristic of the slipping fan blower or not. Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Scott

Edited by firecat53

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If the temperature is good (it is)

then it's an air-flow problem

OR the clothes are to wet from the Washer (not spun out)

Try a load with the Vent disconnected ..

post YouTube video ?

In addition to the blower wheel,the belt tension roller can be a source of noise.

2 people like this

Tried drying a load with the vent disconnected (sorry, forgot to add that to first post)...it helped a little bit but not much (maybe 15min better time). Also, I don't think it's the washer because the clothes dried normally when we were using our friend's dryer.

So by saying it's an air flow problem, do you mean that replacing the blower wheel could be a good next step?

Thanks!

Scott

Edit: post youtube video? You mean so you can hear the noise?

Edited by firecat53

Yes, if you could post a youtube video so we could hear the noise it may help, to determine what the problem is.

Dang dude.

That's a lot of noise.

Remove the blower wheel and run the dryer.

If noise is gone,replace the blower wheel.

If noise is still there....get back to us.

1 person likes this

Run the dryer with door open,let go of the door switch. If you hear noise after the drum has stopped then the blower is freewheeling.

2 people like this

Ok...I ordered a moisture sensor too to replace along with my blower wheel. Where the heck does it go??? I see it in the exploded parts diagram in the tumbler section, but I can't find it for the life of me!! I even traced the wires...don't see where it could possibly go :/ I'm feelin' a bit dense at the moment....

Thanks!

Scott

Edit: If I had to guess it would be someplace here, on the outlet of the blower, but I don't see anything that looks the same there.

Attached: picture of my blower wheel assembly. Here is the moisutre sensor that I have.

post-34670-0-37610500-1360971332_thumb.j

Edited by firecat53

Open the door, stick your head in the dryer facing down. Should be on the front bulkhead, usually on the right. It senses by clothes touching it, and when clothes are wet it discharges the electrical field charge across its polls. I hope that description is clear enough.

1 person likes this

also, the Sensor Bars (shown in the parts list) are just a pair of metal strips that the clothes touch

and unless damaged, are usually OK.

Normally connected to a Dryness Controller, but I don't see one on your parts list, nor wiring diagram

1 person likes this

Open the door, stick your head in the dryer facing down. Should be on the front bulkhead, usually on the right. It senses by clothes touching it, and when clothes are wet it discharges the electrical field charge across its polls. I hope that description is clear enough.

Nope...weird! The only things attached to the front bulkhead are the door light and door switch!

also, the Sensor Bars (shown in the parts list) are just a pair of metal strips that the clothes touch

and unless damaged, are usually OK.

Normally connected to a Dryness Controller, but I don't see one on your parts list, nor wiring diagram

Hummmm...well....that's odd. There's an 'Auto-Dry' setting on the controls that hasn't worked right in years, so I was assuming it'd be a moisture sensor problem. Ah well...not a big deal...and it was only $14, so it's prob not worth the shipping to return it.

Got the new blower wheel installed...wow what a difference!! Thanks all yet again for your help!!

Auto Dry is not the same as Electronic Dryness Control. Auto Dry uses a temperature sensor to advance the timer where Electronic Dryness Control uses the moisture contacts like you ordered coupled with a charge capacitor on an electronic control board. Both technologies date well back to the early 60s.

1 person likes this