Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
98 Thundercat

KitchenAid KEHC379JBL4 Combo wall oven microwave trouble

7 posts in this topic

I bought this combo wall unit new back in 2002. The microwave portion stopped heating food and started emitting a bad smell like burning wiring or electronics. It also does not sound normal when you try to run it. There are no error codes and the bottom convection oven works fine. Any help would be appreciated. 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Abnormal sound and bad schmeel-- I'd start troubleshooting right at the magnetron.  Use the Willie Method ™ to assess its health ==> http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-236-the-willie-method-%E2%84%A2-for-testing-a-microwave-oven-magnetron-tube/

Magnetron part link ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Magnetron/4375424/777330?modelNumber=KEHC379JBL4

Magnetron-4375424-00645130.jpg

The description in the link you provided exactly matches what I am hearing and smelling. Is it a difficult job to get to the magnetron? I guess I might as well replace the bulb and door springs while I have it apart.

Those microwaves are overkill.  They need to have the door open to the left like a normal one, not down. In my opinion, microwave ovens that are part of a normal oven aren't worth the money, because they are a pain in the neck to repair and you are married to them until you replace the regular oven.

My best advice for getting the microwave out is to remove the 2 side trim peices, then with the breaker off, remove the control pannel, and then remove the upper and lower black plastic vent pannels to gain access to the screws that secure the microwave, have someone help you pull it out from the cavity, there will be a long green wire, that attaches to the back of the microwave, dont cut it unscrew it from the back with your helper holding the microwave. If the door springs arent busted I'd leave well enough alone for now.W0110069-00006.png