Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire gallery topload washer doesn't spin

no spin basket off level frigidaire washer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freddyboy

freddyboy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have a Frigidaire top load washer mod #GLWS1339ESO mfg 08/06. Everything seems to work except spin cycle. I have it apart. The motor pulley turns when the washer goes to spin cycle, but the belt wouldn't catch. I replaced the belt which didn't help, then adjusted the spring on the tensioner, which didn't help. If I put extra tension on the belt between the motor and the drive pulley, the belt catches and the basket takes off (spins). When it took off though, it made a regular clicking noise, sounding like from the top of the basket. I removed the agitator and found no foreign object. I removed the rim that sits atop the basket and the tub. I found the outer edge of the plastic basket was very rough on about a quarter of it, which I think explains the clicking noise. I shaved this area to smooth it, which seemed to take care of the clicking. I noticed that the basket is not level/plumb with the tub, which I think really explains the clicking sound. Could this help explain the problem?  If this is a problem, how do I fix it? Now when I test, it does take off sometimes without any help from me. Thanks.

Edited by freddyboy, 16 February 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sounds like the idler pulley spring may be weak or something jammed between the inner and outer tub.

#3 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like the idler pulley spring may be weak or something jammed between the inner and outer tub.

In addition, is the locking screw on the transmission pulley tight? Some of these models have a small "C" clip on the bottom of the idler assembly that lets it drop down--check to make sure that is tight, not missing. Either of these, in addition to the tension on the spring, will effect the belt tension. How's the basket drive (Trunnion and bolts)? How about the screws on the locking plate for the Trunnion. Any of this loose or Worn? This will cause inbalance wear to the outer tub. If this machine has been disassembled before, check to see if the correct suspension springs (vertical) are in the correct place--one is unpainted and goes in left rear next to motor. Order of springs will influence tub balance.

Edited by Wingerman, 17 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Pull the spin basket and look at the fasteners on the drive block...............Look close, the fastener on the right...the hex head is broken off, allowing the clamp to loosen and spin basket to drop out of location...........Just replaced an outer tub with a worn hole in it.............

#5 freddyboy

freddyboy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thank you all for your help.

I rulled out the tensioner spring because a new belt tension pulley assembly doesn't seem to include the spring, according to the part picture and the 'Repair Clinic' video on replacing it, which says to use the old spring. I assume this spring dosen't go bad. Also, I tried moving the spring to a tighter position, which didn't help.

As far as checking for a broken fastener hex head or for something stuck between the basket and the tub, there is nothing between the walls (vertical), but I wasn[t able to check between the floors (horizontal). I removed the 5 bolts on the bottom but couldn't pull the basket out, I then removed the 2 bolts on the trunnion/plate (which all looked good), and still couldn't pull the basket. I think that getting that basket out is the next step. It must be seized, I'll find a stronger person to help me pull it off. Maybe spray WD-40 or PB-Blaster. Any hints on pulling the basket? I'll also check the transmission pulley locking screw and the "C" clip on the bottom of the idler assembly. I'll also check the suspension springs.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics