Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
drmechano

spin noises whirlpool direct drive LSN2000LW1

26 posts in this topic

My washer fills, agitates and drains fine. when the spin cycle starts i hear a loud "clicking / clacking" noise - not hammering or thumping, but clicking. and some clunking sounds as well.

the noise seems to come from the bottom front of the machine, from listening to it. haven't looked inside yet.

the basket spins - seems to get up to full speed, but can't be sure.

I replace the timer, trans, clutch and drive coupler about 1.5 years ago.

Update: it only makes this noise on the High spin setting. Low spin setting is normal.

What do you think the problem is?

link to youtube video: 

Edited by drmechano

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Start with simple stuff:  Is there anything caught in one of the tub holes? 

If not, the next thing I would probably check, depending on the noise, would be the drive block.  Pull the agitator and make sure the drive block has not been chewed apart by the spin tube .

Those would be my first 2 checks.

Says video is private.  Can't view it.

* sorry = had to remove the video link due to some screwiness going on with youtube.

Edited by drmechano

Hmm. The sound is coming from inside the tub then?

no, it sounds like it's coming from inside the cabinet, right side, down low. only happens on the High spin setting, not the low.

If it's a 3 speed motor, check the 2 wire harness connector near the motor. If it has a motor speed switch (wash speed, spin speed), try it in other settings. 

I would say either bad speed switch, loose harness connector to motor, or broken wire in harness going to motor.

ok, i'll open it up and take a look. is there an alternative diagnosis, in case none of the above seems to be the problem?

thanks!

* sorry = had to remove the video link due to some screwiness going on with youtube.

What kind a screwiness?  I post videos here all the time with no screwiness.  Posting a video of the machine operating and making that noise would help us help you and may let us point you right to the problem.  

I had an interesting one the other day, maybe it's this.

You know those new metal lined couplers?

The coupler didn't break like a plastic coupler, it STRIPPED.

It would work some of the time, but under high load it would slip and make a clacking noise, and the basket wouldn't spin.

Replaced the coupler, everything was fine.

youtube was showing "recommended for you" clips at the end of the washer video. and i didn't care for what they recommended.i'll try it again.

youtube was showing "recommended for you" clips at the end of the washer video. and i didn't care for what they recommended.i'll try it again.

Don't hyperfocus on minutia.   Take a common sense risk-benefit approach.  There's a big upside to posting the video so we can hear the noise while watching the machine run.  What's the downside?  That it offends your delicate sensibilities?  Call the ball, Hopper.  

I had another old direct drive where the lid switch was flaky so that during spin the switch was going on and off with the vibration.

It did a perfect imitation of a bad motor, down to the smell.

so, what's the bottom line - bad speed switch / wiring to the motor?

For me it is hard to pinpoint on the video.  If I was there, my ears would take me right to it.  It does sound like a motor problem to me - but the spin speeds seems OK with a load, so I'm not sure.  Wish I could be more help on this one.  

could be..

trying to run 2 speeds at once,

Motor not getting up to speed to completely dis-engage the Centrifugal Start Switch,

re-tries starting

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=777091

Selector-Switch-3950356-00733381.jpg

any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned for a refund (less shipping)

including installed electrical parts

This same thing also happens when the wires are loose that plug into the motor connector

I think Brother Reg nailed it.  Marking this one solved until told otherwise.  

so which part is needed? the picture shows the speed selector switch - goes on the control panel - but the  discussion says that it's likely the dip switch shown in the second picture. there's no part number for that one. 

thanks

OK - the loose connection crowd wins the prize! The Red connector at the speed selector switch was loose - one side of it was pulled off of the switch contact. Re-seated that connector and the rest of them and high speed spin works fine. Sorry I won't need to buy parts this time around ... but i'll continue to be a supporter.  Thanks, guys!

Edited by drmechano

OK - the loose connection crowd wins the prize! The Red connector at the speed selector switch was loose - one side of it was pulled off of the switch contact. Re-seated that connector and the rest of them and high speed spin works fine. Sorry I won't need to buy parts this time around ... but i'll continue to be a supporter.  Thanks, guys!

That's a great find and fix, drmech!  Fuggetabout the part purchase-- your report of what you found to fix the problem is way more valuable than that.  Great job!  

thanks. happy to make a contribution.

here's a photo of the switch connections: