Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Joshua Scholar

Persistantly blowing fuse on Maytag Dependable Care

14 posts in this topic

I replaced the lid switch on an old Maytag Dependable Care two belt washer that kept blowing the fuse a couple weeks ago.

That worked for a couple weeks, then it blew the fuse AGAIN.

The customer was desperate, so I tried bypassing the fuse.  That worked for a test (spun, filled) till I closed the front, then it blows the circuit while empty.

Since it's still empty, I'm thinking it can't be the motor that's at fault.  Either the new lid switch is defective or there's something else that can blow the fuse/breaker.   Can a timer do that?

I'll go back and put a new microswitch into the brand new lid switch ... do you have any more ideas?

Also, sorry I didn't get back to the forum till now on the Frigidaire problem, I came down with the WORST flu.  Even my skin hurt.  I lost two belt buckle holes.  Another flu and I'll be down to my ideal weight, but I won't be able to lift my toolbox. :)

Edited by Joshua Scholar

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

model number ?

I didn't write that down, it's a fairly late model two belt maytag washer and dryer combo.

Did you do the whole switch assembly ... or just the micro switch?

I replaced the whole assembly.

Hmmm.  That has always solved the problem for me.  Maybe others guys have seen other things blow that fuse.

What was the part number  of the switch you replaced and the model number of the washing machine?  I can't help you without knowing that.

Ok, solved.  The brand new switch (which was a 12001514) was already broken after only one week.

This time I only replaced the microswitch in it which was horrible, since the plastic tab that keeps it in place broke and I had to use a screw to hold it in.

Lid-Switch-Assembly-12001514-00892989.jp

Domo for the update and good job finding the problem!  

I wish I knew the model number of the machine that switch goes to, because I've never seen that switch in my life and I was a Maytag Factory Service technician for 15 years.

... I wish I knew the model number of the machine that switch goes to,

some model numbers:

Maytag LSE7804ACE

Maytag LSE7806ACE

Maytag LSE7806ACM

Maytag LSG7806AAQ

Lid switch & fuse assembly

Manufacturer Number 12001514

(The manufacturer has replaced part number 22001581

with this item, part number 12001514.)

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=400492

Lid-Switch-Assembly-12001514-00892990.jp

replaces #6 in diagram

M0607005-00012.png

Oh, no wonder I never saw that switch, this switch came out of a stack laundry center, not a freestanding washer.

... Oh, no wonder I never saw that switch, this switch came out of a stack laundry center,

lucky you ... :thumbsup:

I only saw the really old stack units, SE1000s, because nobody else wanted to work on them.