Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Monogram Dishwasher Recall: Is the fix really a fix? My TCO keeps blowing too!

dishwasher GE ZBD68

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zydeco100

zydeco100

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sorry to revive this topic, but I really would like some advice from the experts regarding the 2003-2006 Monogram Dishwasher recall and TCO/Shield repair kit. 

I'm having the same problems as rlw in an earlier thread.  About a year ago my unit actually started smoldering, thankfully I caught it in time.  I was able to shut it down and get the control replaced.  GE also installed the TCO & Shield...and now I'm on my second blown fuse after the repair.

The board seems to overheat and blow when using any cycle that involves the calrod heating the water (like Cookware, for example).  I even had the repair guy say "yeah, don't use those Sanitary cycles because that'll get the water too hot and it will blow."  Huh?!?  And isn't the cutoff set for some temp way above boiling water, like 280F?

I'm REALLY inclined to believe that GE's explanation of "water dripping on the board and causing a short" is completely bogus and possibly even fraudulent.  The washer works fine until you use the calrod.  Why would water suddenly be condensing on the board in those cycles and not any other? 

Is anyone else out there seeing these dishwashers continue to fail post-recall?

(My apologies earlier for posting this on an old thread.)

Edited by zydeco100, 18 February 2013 - 11:48 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I assume you are talking about a dishwasher here since you only said sanitary cyle and you posted it in the kitchen forum?

Scott Wolf

#3 zydeco100

zydeco100

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Whoops, sorry.  Yeah, it's the dishwasher.  I edited the topic to clarify.  Thanks.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Post the complete model number

#5 zydeco100

zydeco100

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

The model # is ZBD6880K03SS.  Thanks.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

A few questions:

1.  What's the part number of the TCO shield kit you're using?

2.  Have you done the two TCO shield kit installations yourself after GE replaced the first one?

3.  Are the TCO kits failing the same way? i.e., burned wires, no burned wires but the TCO opens, etc.

4.  Can you post photos of the most recent failure?

#7 zydeco100

zydeco100

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I haven't done any service on the unit myself, it's all been done by GE Repair on their dime...including the followup calls.  I have an appointment for them to return on Thursday to repair the second blown TCO.

This time I plan there to be over the guy's shoulder to see exactly what is going on.  I'll try to get part numbers and photos.  I design commercial applicance controls myself so I know what I'm looking at when the cover is off on these things, I just don't want to start poking around in there when GE is doing the repair work for free.  

I'm just concerned that these fixes aren't doing what they intend to do.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

So there's only been one subsequent failure of the TCO after the first repair? This does not constitute a pattern and was probably just a fluke.

And GE is repairing it (again) on their dime? Sounds like they're being stand-up to me. Don't hassle the poor tech who's just coming there to do a job.

#9 zydeco100

zydeco100

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

It's like this:

Control Smoked

GE replaced control and added TCO

TCO blew

GE replaced TCO

TCO just blew again

I wouldn't even think of harassing the GE guy here, I get that he's just doing his job.  But I want to see exactly what is being replaced this time around.

If I can't run any cycle other than "normal" without blowing it again, I'd say that's definitely a pattern and something the "fix" isn't taking care of.  Are thermal cutouts flukey things that tend to go on their own?

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Let us know how it turns out.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics