Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Top Load Washer Model# ALW880QAW, Procedure for installing new belt.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I went to install a new belt (27001006) thinking it would be a slam dunk.  Well, it looks like I need to remove the drain pump to get the belt on the motor pulley?  If so, do I need to get a short screw driver to get the 3 screws off the drain pump?  Is there an easier way to get the belt on?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

I completely remove the motor from the tub base to replace the belt, it's alot easier. There are 4  1/2 inch bolts holding the motor to the tub base.

Yes, the water pump does need to be removed from the motor because of the way the belt is routed.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 19 February 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yep, thats the only way to do it. Remove the motor/pump and flip it upside down. I believe the screws are a T-20 torx. If the old belt is still in one piece just pay attention to how it is routed around the pump leggs.

#4 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

That was my next question because the old belt was broke.  It looks like the belt would actually straddle on of the pump legs, is that correct?

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Check your idler pulley and your transmission pulley by hand and make sure they aren't binding. There is a reason why the belt broke.

Next time I replace a belt on one of these, I should take a picture of how the belt is routed and post it in here.

Scott Wolf

#6 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I was wondering about what could be stressing the belt, because they had the belt replaced last year.  Is there some mechanism that I can adjust the alignment?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

It's a special Belt .. correct one ?
Belt length 28 3/4”, width 1/2”, characteristics, small “v”- shaped for, three-speed washer
Manufacturer Number 27001006

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=964125

Drive-Belt-27001006-00558194.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics