Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

AlexM

Amana Top Load Washer Model# ALW880QAW, Procedure for installing new belt.

7 posts in this topic

I went to install a new belt (27001006) thinking it would be a slam dunk.  Well, it looks like I need to remove the drain pump to get the belt on the motor pulley?  If so, do I need to get a short screw driver to get the 3 screws off the drain pump?  Is there an easier way to get the belt on?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I completely remove the motor from the tub base to replace the belt, it's alot easier. There are 4  1/2 inch bolts holding the motor to the tub base.

Yes, the water pump does need to be removed from the motor because of the way the belt is routed.

Edited by Scottthewolf

Yep, thats the only way to do it. Remove the motor/pump and flip it upside down. I believe the screws are a T-20 torx. If the old belt is still in one piece just pay attention to how it is routed around the pump leggs.

That was my next question because the old belt was broke.  It looks like the belt would actually straddle on of the pump legs, is that correct?

Check your idler pulley and your transmission pulley by hand and make sure they aren't binding. There is a reason why the belt broke.

Next time I replace a belt on one of these, I should take a picture of how the belt is routed and post it in here.

I was wondering about what could be stressing the belt, because they had the belt replaced last year.  Is there some mechanism that I can adjust the alignment?