Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrigerator GTH18XCTZRWW

Fridge runs long time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Original call week ago compressor running a long time, refer temps 50.   Upon diagnostics freezer temp in ice cream bucket 0 degree, temp gun reading from evaporator fan 17 degree.  refrigerator temp 50.  80 year man complaint was that compressor runs a long time & he has to jiggle cold control to get it going again.    Replace cold control, temps started dropping in both units immediately.  unit seemed fine.  gentleman calls to day with same symptoms.

I will make call back tomorrow afternoon & will spend time with it.  When running compressor temps seem normal, condensor & fan are very clean, don't think fan is lazy.  I will be pulling freezer panel to check frost pattern.    The unit is plane jane with no compartment defuzzor, air is channelling down into fridge, no blockage.    Think I could have a defrost timer problem?   Or something else.  did hear some gurgling in unit but I thought it was normal.  Frigerator is a very clean unit with not much contents in it.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

This is probably your culprit.

http://www.repaircli...5X10900/1535852

Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Door Gaskets ?

Fridge Light staying ON ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Funny I told my wife when I ordered the temp control, I should put it in also as a security buffer.  She asked me if I wanted the extra expense, should of stayed with my instints. :rolleyes:

Door Gaskets ?

Fridge Light staying ON ?

Checked light already, gasket looked good although did not do $$ test

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

I have caught all brands of refrigerators where the defrost control board keeps the unit in defrost too long or  keeps the defrost heater on when the compressor is running.

Scott Wolf

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Was leaning towards this conclusion but my lack of years of expeniance sometimes give me hesitation.  I plodd along slowly but on a steady course.   Thank you much Gents  4am comes early tomorrow, be back tomorrow evening with updates.   Patricio

Edited by Patricio, 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM.

IgonFishn

#7 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

If not the defrost control board (120v off the blue lead), then note that this model has two defrost thermostats; that's double the trouble. Check to see if the cases are distorted (open) preventing the heater from coming on--hence an iced up evaporator. Test T-stats in ice to make sure they are closed with ohmmeter. 

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Visit today Freezer temp below 0, refrigerator steady 39. temp setting set colder than middle setting.  Refrigerator continuous running.  Light switch OK,  Dollar bill gasket text OK.  Icemaker water fill valve activates.  Ice in bucket looks distorted as if went thru some melting & refreezing.    Unplug unit to take back panel off.  Evaporator had little frost, lot of dripping water.  Ice was on lower back side of double evaporator.  

Plugged unit back in, went into defrost mode,compressor came on, defrost heater got warm, then cold.  Evaporaotor got cold but really did not frost up.  Unpluged,  Got my steamer out & melted ice block.  Plugged back in, defrost heater came on then compressor. heater got very warm but not hot enough to burn, glass heater not turning red.  heater turned off unit started cooling, not rapidly but went from 70 down to 40 in a few minutes.  as I packed up to leave freezer temp down to 35. 

Looked for terminal to check defrost thermostats continuity,  Units tech sheet cannot be found,  Customer showed me receipt when purchased,10/9/2010.  I don't belive sealed system is corrupt, definatly something wrong with sefrost system.   Defrost control hiccuping?

IgonFishn

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

post pictures of frost pattern of Evaporator

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Tried posting pics with my camera before to this site.  Image to large to post.

IgonFishn

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

either reduce the file size with MS paint, PhotoShop, etc..

OR upload to some file sharing website, then post the links here.

#12 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Can you initiate a forced defrost with this unit? If so, how?

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sorry this topic slipped me to update conclusion

Replaced board back in February, that took care of it,  Thanks Scott, great call.   Patricio

IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics