Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Everest Refrigerator ESR2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

This refrigerator is not cooling properly. The customer reports that it is set at 36 degrees, but won't cool below 39 and when the doors are opened regularly, it goes up to 50+. Another company installed access valves and charged the unit about a month ago. The customer says the unit worked better for a week or so. I cannot find the source of the leak with an electronic detector. My question is what should the pressure readings be. I am getting 18 psi on the low side and 135 psi on the high side. I am not familliar with this type equipment so I don't know what readings I would be seeing if the unit was operating properly. I did look at the evaporator coils and they were wet, but there was no frost pattern. The customer wants me to charge the unit just in case the last charge was insufficient rather than the leak is bad enough that it has already leaked down. I do not do sealed system repairs generally, but this unit is so expensive it may be worth it to the customer, but before I dive into that mess, I would love to know more about how this unit works.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

http://appliantology...owners-manuals/

http://appliantology...ion-parts-list/

http://appliantology...ervice-manuals/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

The specs in the manual provided by Sensei Reg indicate the unit is overcharged.

It would be best to evacuate the system pull a vacuum then recharge at 13 oz of 134a.

The vacuum may remove a possible cap tube restriction.

Both coils should be checked for dirt and airflow.

Fan motors should be checked for performance.

#4 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the manuals and the advice. I will evacuate, vacuum, and weigh in new refrigerant as well as clean the coils thoroughly. All fans are operating, but the customer said the unit was making a "moaning" sound which did not occur while I was there. I will check the fans for free movement. Again, thanks for the help.

#5 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Final update. After evacuating, vacuuming and recharging with 13 oz of 134A, the pressure readings dropped to 12 psi on suction side and 130 psi on high side. Additionally, both coils were cleaned. During the charging process, the condensor fan started making noise which the customer identified as the "moaning" sound she had previously heard. I replaced the fan motor, and the unit is currently operating normally. The customer says it is working the best it has worked in a long time. Thanks for your help; especially, the service manual.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for posting the outcome, jlb.  Great job!   :thumbsup:

#7 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

oops -service valves ? what not 3in1 i hope if so get ready to return . . my advise  once the sealed system has been  opened  you lost compressor eff . this is my belief if i have to open the sealed system then its time to replace the product .at this point everything else is just a stitch in time 

SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

oops -service valves ? what not 3in1 i hope if so get ready to return . . my advise  once the sealed system has been  opened  you lost compressor eff . this is my belief if i have to open the sealed system then its time to replace the product .at this point everything else is just a stitch in time 

If we advised every customer to replace a repairable product we would not be diligent appliance servicers.

Not to mention the millions in lost revenue.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

... my belief if i have to open the sealed system then its time to replace the product

48 cu/ft
evesr2_thumbnail.jpg&maxx=150&maxy=150

List Price: $6,198.00
Your Savings: $3,724.38
Your Price: $2,473.62

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics