Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana leak

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Dr. Pepper :P

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Amana ALW540RAW - top loader.  This week's problem - it leaks during the spin cycle when a full load is run.  It doesn't do it on a smaller load (when the water level is set below maximum).  Thinking I was a genius, I replaced the tub cover gasket ( http://www.repaircli...40076601/550565 )- didn't help at all...  No visible cracks in the tub or top.  All the hoses are good and tight.  Water appears to be coming from that area, although I'm going to take it apart (AGAIN - I can do this in my sleep now) and run a load with the front covers off.  Any ideas?  I didn't use any sealant / silicone when I put the gasket on.  It went on real easy  - didn't put up a fight at all...  Thanks for any help.

Edited by bigbluediesel, 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Cracks in the pump? 

Edited by Wingerman, 22 February 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#3 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I'm going to pull the pump tomorrow - I read one thread about the pump being obstructed with a coin causing it not to pump out before water splashed over the rim during spin cycle.  The leak does appear to be coming from the top and running down the sides. 

Thinking about this - this all started when I had the machine gun Amana syndrome (bad helix) - the belt was chewed up something fierce.  The new belt didn't come in a FSP bag.  I'm wondering if it has the required "slip" the stock belt is supposed to have. 

I read another thread about Amana having a TSB (what we call them in the automotive field - don't know what they're called here) about a weaker spring on the tensioner - anyone know anything about that?  Part numbers?

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

2 things to check for:  What was the part number of the belt you installed and is the inner wash basket spinning while it's agitating?  If the inner wash basket is spinning while it's agitating, the brake pads might be worn from the bad helix. The brake not holding the inner wash basket stationary during agitation could be splashing the water over the tub. The incorrect belt could also be causing the water to splash over the tub during spin.

Scott Wolf

#5 bigbluediesel

bigbluediesel

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

The belt had the correct number on it, but it wasn't in an FSP bag - I'm betting it was a Chinese knockoff.  The brake pads were in place.  When I pulled the pump,  water poured out of the side where it was pressed in place.  I'm guessing that's one of the leaks and the other was the belt.  Anyway - I fixed it where it will never leak again.  I jacked it up and put a Whirlpool in its place. :woot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics