Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wphelps

JCPenney/RCA Microwave Model 5919-00-40

8 posts in this topic

It's old; but I like working on Classics.

Thanks for your assistance,

William

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

what part of this micro are you having a problem with ?

Edited by Cactus Bob

what part of this micro are you having a problem with ?

Temperature control / probe calibration.

how far off is it ?

I would say 40 degrees.

49f is not that bad , for a micro temp probe , those things where never all that great in the first place

if there is an adjustment ,

on older ones there was a small sub board mounted below the main board , there would be a "pot "adjustment there , move it a little each way and see what happens

newer ones the adjustment pot is on the mother board , it is the only adjustment there , move a little to adj.

newest ones (1990 and above) have no adjustment

I have found most temp probes are all the same value , so if it plugs in , it works  . so if nothing else works , try another probe

but ......to be honest i don't think you have as much of a problem as you thing you do , those probes are always sloppy

49f is not that bad , for a micro temp probe , those things where never all that great in the first place

if there is an adjustment ,

on older ones there was a small sub board mounted below the main board , there would be a "pot "adjustment there , move it a little each way and see what happens

Actually, this series had one of the more reliable probes typically +/- 5 degrees.

Thanks for the sub-board hint.  I also found out that these were not the usual RCA by GE devices but rather RCA by Samsung.

I just wanted to close this out by letting everyone know that I was able to get the probe reading within 10 degrees.  Apparently generic probes are about 10 KOhms off from the OEM probes; and that's far enough to make a difference.  But, this kind of calibration would be so much simpler if the manufacturers provided full range displays -- i.e. including 32 degrees and 212 degrees.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0