Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Tool Roll

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I was never a fan of the tool roll till I left my tools at my girlfriends house one morning after I repaired an old porc. tub Maytag DW. I left for work from there, drove 60 miles south into Jersey to find I had left my tools in her house and only had that stupid tool roll to get by with. That was 1993 and I have never carried anything but that tool roll since. Working that one day with it SOLD me for the rest of my tool touting days. Tool bag with roll, meter, small bottle of spray cleaner and the assortment of other handy "thangs" 

Edited by Trying to help, 19 April 2013 - 10:21 AM.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I believe if others would give it a try they would be sold too.Like you ,I have a small tool bag with a fluke , tool roll and a few other things with a shoulder strap that I carry on roof top Hvac repairs and It rarely lets me down. I have the 99SM by Xcelite ,wish I had the Maytag,just because it might be a little better.

#23 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Though I love the ratcheting feel of a manual driver, I am partial to electric drivers and all the interchangeable bits and adapters for it. I also like to use thermal lasers along with my thermocouple style thermometers and countless other gadgets that a tool roll cannot handle. What works for some wouldn't work for others.  So the two factions....People of the Bag and People of the Roll should get along and respect each other's styles.....otherwise we'll be divided like those of the shoe and those of the gourd 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#24 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

You're right,to each his own. Everyonne's situation is different.I come from the hvac world and it requires some different things.The point I was making is that sometimes the kitchen sink mentality really doesn't make sense if a simple tool roll and a meter will do.I look at repair clinic videos and rarely does the tech use more than a klein 10n1.Granted this is a planned thing but it does prove that you dont need a lot or tools to fix something.After all the best tool is knowlege and there's alot to be gained here.I have the most respect for you techs and I look forward to learning from you.

#25 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

The thing I hate more than carrying too many tools is walking back to my truck to get one. I do mostly fridge repairs and along with standard tools usually I need a steamer, absorbant towels, silicone, floor protection, etc. So I carry an auxiliary box as well. A Klien 10 n 1 is in my arsenal and i use it primarily when working on stove blocks and need a deep socket. It's too bulky to get into small openings on fridge panels and too short and non magnetic to quickly remove or replace evap panel screws without putting your entire germ infested body inside someone's fridge. But then I have to crawl in it anyway to crimp ln a thermistor or limit which I always have the parts and tools available in my bag or box. I knew this since I used my fieldiece for ohming a thermistor in ice water while it's in a perfectly sized cup I carry. All while my fluke is taking fridge temps. When i finish, steam open drain tube, squirt some baking soda water conveniently found in a squirt bottle I keep on hand. Then as I wrap things up, customer says ice maker is on the fritz... Tell him it's probably related to frost issue but to make sure, pull out my im1 tester...quickly check motor and valve.. assure customer it's okay then reach in another pocket, pull out my square reader... Get paid and on to the next job

My next call maybe a whirlpool bottom mount where I have to remove the basket with the railings from hell.... Best tool, a really long flat head which I keep in the auxillary box. I hate to have to think about what tool I may need, then load up the appropriate tools in between calls. Could i do most of it with a roll, probably. But the speed and efficiency I find with my system suits me perfectly. Make no mistake, the roll is cool and has some good tools but for me not the best or most efficient tools.

Btw the videos on repair clinic do not represent real world tech repair. As you stated, In those videos the exact problem is already determined, and it is usually only one easy problem in a controlled environment. Then the tech drinks some coffee, goes to his massive toolbox off camera to get a spanner wrench while the film crew sets up his next job.

#26 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

I remember a while back seeing a cartoon drawing. There were two spaceships, an American and a Russian. Our spaceship was sleek, high tech, beautiful, with astronauts using extreme scientific jargon with each other to pilot the craft. Next we see a Russian flying garbage can of a ship, crooked pipes falling off, billowing smoke in several directions and the cosmonauts were communicating piloting instructions with each other... "wrench, screw driver, pliers.... hammer." But what you notice is that the ships were in the same orbit. Different styles, same results.

#27 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

i like the idea of the tool roll and backpack

but i use a plastic cantilever toolbox under the brand of zag , unfortunatley i couldnt fnd an online pic

another benefit of this is i can stand on top of it for some jobs

it folds open and contains seperate dividers and on the top lid it has some removeable plastic containers that

contain screws , small bits and pieces and screwdriver bits

2 great things with ths is everything has a hole and is easily checked before leaving a job so its rare although it does

happen on occasion tha i leave something behind

I dont carry a lot of tools  , i dont have far to walk normally and i do have a backup toolbox in the car which also contains backups of

wat i have in my man toolbox in case i lose something as i have a bunch of basic tools in my toolbox but most of them are a particular size

or shape to complete the jobs i do

example i have a rather long pair of needlenose pliars with a 45 degree bend on the end used for dishwasher door springs and F&P top mount fan covers

I can use  shorter pair of same pliars but its just a lot more difficult to do the same work

as i dont have far to walk i keep a range of stuff in the car and maybe 1 or 2 tmes per week i need something from there

But i can tell you i can easily tell once my toolbox starts filling up as my shoulders start to hurt

#28 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have a plastic tool box that has compartments and for years I used it every day.I too like having a place for everything.Makes it easy to keep up with things.Mine is made by Flambeau.It's funny how we all have our ''way'' of doing things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics