Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Advantage Washer 110.92273100 - Bad Brakes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChipStix

ChipStix

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

This elderly K/M washer still does it's job but has an operational problem that just recently began. At the end of a SPIN cycle the brake grabs so hard and fast that the drum assembly twists violently with a loud bang and the whole machine jumps.  I turned it over and didn't find any obviously broken parts inside or on the floor. Any suggestions? TIA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

http://appliantology...nsmission-info/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

With a small screwdriver, place a small dab of high temp silicone such as sil-glyde on the inside vertical surface of the brake drum. Easier to do if you take the cabinet off as you need to place it on the drum where the brake shoes are currently not contacting the drum. Best to locate the position of the spring and place it on the inside of the drum where the spring is. Then try rotating the basket by hand so the brake shoes pick up and spread the lubricant. It would be hard to do, but make sure you don't get any lubricant inside the clutch hub. This usually solves the problem but if it doesn't, then you will have to tear down the machine to get to the brakes.

Eric

WhirlpoolClutchHub.jpg

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Holding the spin basket with your hand while temporarilly bypassing the lid switch while the machine is set for a spin cycle works too, Do it 2 or 3 times until all the surface rust is off  the brake assembly.

Scott Wolf

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

If you hold the basket, that's just going to cause the clutch to slip and wear the pads isn't it? The brakes won't be turning if you hold the basket.

Eric

#6 ChipStix

ChipStix

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Using the info from the study course manual and the suggested solution to grease the brake drum, perhaps that would solve the problem. However, I'm not sure I would want to hold the drum during a spin cycle. Anyway... here's what happened after my first post and before I received and replies:

As I mentioned, I had turned the machine over and with it set in spin mode, powered it on and off a few times while looking at the mechanism. All I could see was the violent jerk as the brakes applied and was no closer to understanding what caused the problem than when I was looking at the tub from above. So later I reconnected the hoses and put the machine back in place and then decided to try the spin cycle once again. Surprise! The brake-slam condition had vanished and the drum took about one and a half turns to gracefully stop. Now, after that, I've gone through a complete wash cycle several times without any problem.

It fixed itself. It's alive! :woot:

I have no idea what happened but it seems to be working normally so I'm going to go with it "as is" until something else goes wrong. But out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas what occurred?

Thanks again to all who offered there time and knowledge to help me out.

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Dirt and rust get on the brake surfaces. Just like when a car sits for a long period of time in moist or damp weather and the brakes sometimes grab too hard the first couple of times you apply them. 

I've been using the  method of holding the spin basket for years and I have never had a problem with it and never destroyed other parts in the process.

Scott Wolf

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Please explain how holding the basket and starting spin mode can clean the brake drum or shoes. If your holding the basket during spin, the brakes are disengaged, they aren't spinning and neither is the drum, it's fixed. I could see how opening/closing the lid during spin which would repeatedly engage/disengage the brakes might work but holding the basket during spin is just going to unnecessarily wear the clutch pads.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics