Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
royk

Frigidaire FWT449GFS1 door boot removal

10 posts in this topic

Hello Appliantologists,

I wanted to take apart my Frigidaire FWT449GFS1 front load washer but my door boot/bellows is different than what is showing in the service manual (which is not specific to the model) The service manual shows the door boot held in with a spring - mine has no such spring. I was going to try to just peel off the bellows but thought I better check with the experts to see what I need to watch out for when I pry off the bellows. Tips, tricks?

Thanks, as always, for the advice.

Roy

post-2563-0-63518700-1361939201_thumb.jp

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Right, you have an old style.  Your door boot is glued to the front panel of the washer.   You will have to cut it at the lip with a razor blade or a sharp putty knife where it's glued.

Thanks Scott.  What kind of glue would you recommend for the re-attachment?

You will have to replace the door boot once you cut the old one off. WHY do you want to take the machine apart?

Here is the correct service manual for your machine.

Page 75 explains how to install the new door boot.

http://www.emaservicetips.com/pdfs/360_TumbleActionWashers.pdf

Edited by Scottthewolf

Thanks for the manual Scott.  I want to tighten all the screws in the outer drum because I have a slight leak. I assumed that I would have to take the from off to get at all the screws that hold the two drum halves together.  But, since I now have to destroy a $60 part to do that, I think a Plan B is in order. Any suggestions?

Well, I popped the top and was able to get at most of the tub screws and tighten them a bit.  Will run a load and see if it helped.

And you don't have to replace these door boots just because you cut the glue points away to remove it!!!!

If you carefully cut each glue point with a razor knife there won't be any problems reattaching the old boot to the front panel.

Just a little drop of super glue at many points around the boot.

If you don't have a dryer stacked on top you should be able to get to all the tub bolts by removing the top panel like you have done and also the front access panel.  You should be able to get to all the bolts, a couple will be kind of a tight reach but not really that bad.

Snug them all up real good and most likely your leaking will stop.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Well - so far so good. No more leaks and I didn't have to grow a third arm and replace the door boot!

Thanks to everyone for the tips! You folks are awesome.