Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE 2001 and newer SXS warm fridge cold freezer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Just want to share a little tip on the GE 2001 and newer SXS refrigerators. Some of you I'm sure have seen this, but if you haven't, when you see this problem you will remember this post and it can turn a frustrating, time consuming and expensive call into a 5 min call that will make you look pretty smart. I had a callback today for a sxs that another one of our techs was out on yesterday. The complaint was warm fridge and freezer was ok.  The other tech had written down that the damper was stuck and he manually freed it up. I called bs when I saw that diagnosis and planned on treating it like I was 1st on the call. When I get there and walk towards the fridge I notice the fridge door is uneven with the freezer, which always bothers me and I usually adjust them for the customer on GE's without bringing it up to them because it is so easy to do. That is all the other tech would have had to do.  The refrigerator light wasn't shutting off because the door was dropped down too far to hit and close the switch.  When this happens the motherboard recognizes this and shuts the damper down, I assume it thinks the door is open and wants to keep the warm air out of the freezer so the evaporator doesn't frost up. This time the plastic cam broke, the door dropped just enough to keep the switch from being acuated and the damper shut down. I had a good idea what was up when I saw the uneven doors. I opened the fridge door, pushed in the switch and heard the damper start to open. That was the problem. I gave the hinge a few turns and I looked pretty smart to the customer this time, but only because the 1st time I ran into this I spent about 45 min trying to figure out what was going on, including changing out the motherboard in the process, and all it needed was 5 min and a hinge adjustment. I hope this helps someone down the road.

Edited by maytagman, 27 February 2013 - 02:24 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Awesome story, will definitely keep in the mind.  GE SXS refrigerators are hands-down the worst part of this job.  I would rather work on 10 Asko dishwashers.I would rather work on Frigidaire laundry products without cut-resistant gloves. 

(Well okay, that last one is just crazy talk. But you know what I mean.)

Edited by DanInKansas, 27 February 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#3 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Im thinking Im experiencing this same exact problem! Thanks for the input!

#4 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well What would be the odds of that helping somebody already? I almost didn't make the post because I thought someone would make a comment about me stating something so obvious to check, but how many times have you ran into someone that took a non heating dryer all apart and after buying a element, thermal fuse and timer they have you come out to tell them they have a blown fuse or bad breaker and only have 120voltsto to the dryer. My 1st thought is always KISS. keep it simple stupid.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

I almost didn't make the post because I thought someone would make a comment about me stating something so obvious to check, 

Always "err" on the side of making the post.  Even if it seems obvious to you, it probably isn't to others, especially DIYers who are not professional appliantologists and who comprise most of the users at this site.  Plenty of room here on the server for lots more posts so don't be shy and fire away!  

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I always check doors on repairs as well, adjusting hinges or raising the front of the fridge a bit to allow gravity to assist in closing the doors.  This is done as a courtesy unless I have to take the doors off completely.  If, after adjusting the top hinge, I find I have to remove the door to raise it, adding a flat washer  on the bottom hinge pin works quite well. 

One thing that can save  some time is to check the fridge with one of those kill a watt meters. One of the first things I do when I  go to a fridge repair is to plug it into a kill a watt.  I can tell if the heater is working by looking at the amp draw, and I can quickly tell if a fridge light is turning on and off  as well. Another one of my favorite gadgets...http://www.repaircli...r/P4400/1012487

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Always "err" on the side of making the post.  Even if it seems obvious to you, it probably isn't to others, especially DIYers who are not professional appliantologists and who comprise most of the users at this site.  Plenty of room here on the server for lots more posts so don't be shy and fire away!  

Preach! I'll ask the "you mean he didn't know that?" question at the drop of a hat. Now if the same person keeps asking the same question over and over, then you start to wonder.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Good coffee

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Just wondering  why the door alarm chime didn't alert anyone the door wasn't making switch contact???

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#9 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Most of those GE's do not have a alarm.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tech Tip on GE SxS Refrigerators: Cold Freezer but Warm Fresh Food Compartment

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 27 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

To learn more about your refrigerator or to order parts, click here .  Source: GE 2001 and newer SXS warm fridge cold freezer

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics