Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
tommytech

maytag bravos m#MVW500XLO

14 posts in this topic

set to drain/spin to hear complaint of noise and drain pump came on ,washer started to spin,sounded normal,then after about 30 -90 seconds an amazingly loud noise. pulling the plug out,the washer slowly started to wind down until it stopped.inner tub spins freely manually,dont think theres anything caught between tubs,seems more like a drive assy issue.unfamiliar with this drive system-suggestions? thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Post you tube video

Is that a good model number.I ain't finding it....... :wacko: ..

It should be MVWX500XL0.

Edited by Scottthewolf

sorry about that model # screwup. cant post video.this washer may be in warranty,customer claims its 8 mos. old would there be some indication of bearing failure by spinning tub manually?there was no noise when spin started initially .i tried to seperate the tubs,removed the nut with my trusty w/p spanner wrench,removed the screws in the hub,inner lifted an inch or so,but couldnt remove inner tub.does NOT sound like a bearing problem,more like a ratcheting noise

Edited by tommytech

Did you check the pully on the trans, known for coming loose

yes

thanks Samurai. btw,great service vehicle

thanks Samurai. btw,great service vehicle

Domo!  It's been a reliable work horse.   :dude:

fixed with part # w10330039. first time for this repair,not too bad of a job.

Yet another bad gearcase in a Whirlpool VM washer!?  It's shocking that the stamped metal and molded plastic pieces inside the gearcase aren't more robust!

image-3.gif

cant imagine how plastic splines could fail.....

most of the ones i have see have actually been bad spin bearings, loud noise when spinning.  I find them very easy to change out.