Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAH550BWW and LR code

maytag lr motor locked rotor control board

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madtripper

madtripper

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Czechvar

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Greetings all and fortunately, this is a tale of success however since my symptoms were slightly different than previous warriors, I thought I would post my story.

My washing machine began displaying the LR code occasionally.  I was usually able to get it to finish the load by unplugging and allowing proper rest time.  I knew there were issues on the horizon but I managed to limp by until last weekend.  I put my last load into the machine and this time, it refused to finish it's job.  I started my research and found a few different scenarios but all of them seemed to result in purchasing the controller and motor kit.  My serial number starts with B7 and I'm not sure what year it is or any of that good stuff especially since I basically got the machine for free.  It has been a great washer for myself and 3 children so I really hated the idea of replacing it.  My wallet also resented the idea.

I performed the spin diagnostic with no errors.  As a matter of fact, I utilized this to get a couple of loads finished during it's period of non -cooperation.  The agitation portion of the sequence worked fine as did the quick cycle diag.

I checked the leads across the water valves and they appeared fine.  I also checked the motor for resistance values according to the diag sheet, which checked out.

I pulled the control board and only noticed a few oddity's.  One of the large capacitors appeared to be bulging (I have replaced bulging caps on motherboards when there was a rash of them a few years ago) and I also had some residue on a few resistors that resembled a leaky battery.

At this point I was kind of at a loss but took the advice given to so many with the same issue and ordered the kit overnight shipping.  I figured worse case, I was out the cost of shipping if my decision was incorrect.

I ordered the kit around 7pm and it arrived at 11am the next day.  I can't say enough about the help and quality customer service that RepairClinic.com provides.

I replaced the components in about 45 minutes following the instruction sheet provided.  There were a few changes with the kit I received so I wanted to comment on that.

The default connection to the control board which I believe is labeled as "main" would fit with my existing connnection however this would bypass the newly added ac filter.  I tried it this way and the spin diag worked fine.  I felt like I should follow the instructions however so I pulled the molex connection apart and made the filter part of the circuit as advised.  I retained everything just in case I needed to bypass it for some reason but I feel comfortable with following the instructions.

I already finished my first load since the repair and all appears sound.

Tripper

Drive Motor and Control Board kit ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH5500BWQ

Drive-Motor-12002039-00817524.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 02 March 2013 - 10:33 AM.
Added part link to the drive motor kit

Model 110-20056991 :(

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Glad you fixed it.

Scott Wolf

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

for future reference with a serial number of b7 you most likely did not need the full kit, just a new motor control board.

#4 madtripper

madtripper

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Czechvar

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

for future reference with a serial number of b7 you most likely did not need the full kit, just a new motor control board.

I went back and forth with RepairClinic on that.  The first service rep told me control board only.  The second said I needed the kit and when I asked, he told me if I had a B8 serial number instead of the B7, the board would be appropriate as opposed to the kit.  I have retained the motor as I believe it would have worked with the new board.  Additionally, the price difference between control board solo vs. the kit was about $10.

Thanks for the input.

Tripper

Edited by madtripper, 02 March 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Model 110-20056991 :(

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Great repair story, madtripper, domo for posting that!  I'm sure it'll be helpful to others coming along with a similar problem in the future.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maytag, lr, motor, locked rotor, control board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics