Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire oven thermostat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I recently went out on a call to fix a Frigidaire double oven that would not bake. M# FPET3085KF.  I figured it was the bake element. There were no error codes, the broil element worked. Took the oven all apart to check the bake element, which can be checked from the front only to find out the bake element had continuity through it.  I did not have current going to the element.  Everything on the board and key pad checked out fine, but did not have a reading through the bake element from the board.  I then pulled the double oven out of the wall to find out the resetable thermostat had popped.  There is a red button on the thermostat that needs pushed back in.  The customer had recently put the unit into self clean.  I guess being a built in unit caused the heat to get too high and popped that thermostat. 

This can be checked from the board.

The bad thing is: the only way to reset this thermostat is to pull the oven out of the wall and take the back off to get to the thermostat.

I am posting this to let others know to check this before ordering a very expensive bake element. 

I hope this helps some others.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Domo for posting this, aasnow!  This is a good repair story that shows how doing some basic testing and troubleshooting is not optional if you're going to get it fixed right the first time without wasting money.  Even knowing how to do something as simple as test a bake element for continuity can save a DIYer big bucks and lots of headaches.  

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

... The customer had recently put the unit into self clean.
... I am posting this to let others know ...

:nono:

“My Rules”:
Rule #1) Don't ever use Self-Clean on any Oven.
Rule #2) If you're thinking about using Self-Clean, see rule #1.
Self-Clean uses nearly 1000F for 3 hours or more. burnin.gif
That can wreak havoc on Electronic Controllers and Connections.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

More on using an oven's self-clean feature in this issue of the Appliantology newsletter.

Subscribe to Appliantology

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

aasnowskate, thanks for the info............This may be your first and it probably will not be your last.........Wait till you get to some models of a Whirlpool wall oven........You pull it out just to get to the tech. sheet and then you find it is a "one shot " fuse, non-resettable.... :rolleyes: .......Never guess, always verify........Just did a Bosch washer, leaking a small amount of water, left rear........with out doing any thing, I told  the home owner it was the duel water valve, but a Master tech does not guess...It had a stacked gas dryer  with steam, in a corner area... Disconnected the gas line, water line, vent, unstacked it , pulled the top...........what do I spy???...water leaking from the duel water valve...Verify, would have looked silly :sillytongue:   had I said  it was the dual cold valve and it was the single hot water valve............Re connected every thing and then I ordered the part ( two actually, one truck stock  ).................Went back in two days did the same disconnecting and installed the correct part............( You look better in customers eyes, getting correct the first time )...  .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics