Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dE error - shorted something - help! LG WM3431HW

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

So I feel like a complete idiot... well, a partial one, anyway, and I'm hoping one or more of the experienced geniuses here can help me rescue myself from the mess I created.

I have an LG WM3431HW that I bought used and have performed all the major repairs myself. The pump just went, so I took the opportunity to do some maintenance, which I haven't done in a year and a half: clean all the lint out of the machine and the duct, replace the valves again, replace the drain hose that had been repaired with Gorilla tape, etc. 

Finally had time tonight to install all the parts and do a test load. The wash went great, and the pump was smooth and quiet. But when it came to drying, it popped the circuit breaker. I checked out what was the trouble, and I found that the machine wouldn't start anymore due to a dE error!

Well, the mistake was a stupid one - I had connected some wires wrongly on the dryer assembly. Same colors, different connections, easy mistake to make using the little photo I had as a guide, but bad news for me. 

Now I need to figure out what is shorted or burned out. I made sure the door connector was firmly in, but that isn't the problem. It's got to be a wiring thing, or a control board <shudder> thing. I did check the thermistor, but that's okay. The LED is on on the control board too. 

If anyone can suggest some idiot-proof steps for me, I'd appreciate it. I did try the QC Test Mode, but it won't go past dE. Actually, when I start it up, it flashes IF:67/U03, if that's at all helpful. I thought it was supposed to just display IF:67. I do have a multimeter, but I'm not sure how to apply it in this case, and the service manual isn't all that helpful.

Please let me know what you think. I'll bake you cookies if you help me solve this. I really need this machine... and I need my kitchen back too! (It's sitting in the middle of it, and I'm in the middle of 12-14 hr workdays, and I live alone, so this is REALLY tough to be happening now.) :wacko: 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

<<<I had connected some wires wrongly on the dryer assembly.>>>

Can you elaborate more on this ?

Which wires were incorrectly installed & what color?

<<<it flashes IF:67/U03>>>

Software version ID---not important or relevant to your issue.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Thanks, John!

Let me see if I can describe this. You know the black unit at the top? The one you have to remove to get to the duct? It's the dryer heating unit, right?

I mixed up the wires that go into two parts there - one is, I believe, the thermostat, and the other is the heating coil?

I mixed up the two blue wires, so that both the yellow and blue that came out of the black thing went into the silver-colored connector (I guess the heating coil - ouch), instead of the the blue one that needed to go to the thermostat instead.

Thanks again,

Susan

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Checking...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Unplug unit.

Verify that the WIRES on the *Heater Connections* are YELLOW and BLUE.

This Blue wire runs/routes into a wire harness that is wrapped in black electrical tape---and is part of a group of wires that leads towards the Blower Motor inside the Duct.

Verify that the WIRES on the *Thermostat* are RED and BLUE---this Blue wire comes from the *Internal Fusible Link*.

Which has a hi-heat protective white sheathing on it and protrudes/sticks out from the side of the Heater Housing.

Plug in Laundry Combo & test in DRY mode (not wash mode).

Use the buttons on the far right---which has RED letters on the Control Panel (for dryer control options).

It's possible that the DOOR LOCK ASSY (which is in the same circuit--red wire) may have been damaged when the wires were incorrectly installed.

DOOR LOCK ASSY:  6601ER1005B

It's also possible that the MAIN BOARD has been damaged as well (need a full Model and Serial Number for correct part number).

For now---verify that all wires are correctly installed & test the dryer function...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#6 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi, John, thanks, maybe it wasn't clear - the unit doesn't get past DE now. Ever. So I can't test ANY function. I've tried Wash, Dry, Test, everything. Just DE. Always.

I had changed the wires back to the correct connections (as you described) before testing earlier. Do you know a way to test the circuits to see if it's the door lock or the control board that's damaged?

S/N is 612KWNM00439 of WM3431HW. In the past I learned that although the manufacture date says 2006, the part numbers correspond to the 2004 models. I got a S/N off the control board, but I think that version is no longer manufactured.

Thanks,

Susan

#7 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

I so wish I could just go somewhere and pick up parts!!

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

<<<the unit doesn't get past DE now>>>

Replace the DOOR LOCK ASSY first...

http://www.repaircli...ER1005B/1268550

This will *likely* solve the problem.

If not---order the MAIN BOARD...

http://www.repaircli...EC1126F/1268504

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#9 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

Okay, great. I'm thinking to order both parts at once and return the control board if it isn't needed to save time. I really need this machine to be active!

Are you sure that's the correct control board for my serial number? Just checking... is there only one? There are two different drums, bearings, etc. for the WM3431 series, which is where I got burned before.

Thanks again for your help!

#10 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

<<<Are you sure that's the correct control board>>>

Yes---provided that the MODEL number is WM3431HW

Other models look like this...

WM3431HW/01

WM3431HW/02

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#11 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

While that is the exact model number, believe it or not, LG manufactured two different models under the same model number. In the past, I've had to contact them with the serial number to look up the correct part number. My service manual came out in 2006 and has newer part numbers than the ones for my machine. Many are the same, but some differ enough to make life difficult.

#12 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hate to say this where John can hear, but if it's the main board - I'd get rid of that thing. It's tough enough to do your own maintenance without playing model number roulette.

First, do no harm.

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

<<<Hate to say this where John can hear, but if it's the main board - I'd get rid of that thing. It's tough enough to do your own maintenance without playing model number roulette.>>>

No reason to hate saying it :)

However---most customers that own one of these "combo" all-in-one laundry washer/dryers---cannot use a traditional washer and vented dryer arrangement (insurance regulations/rental agreement etc)

And they're not cheap either---when new---selling for around $1500.00

If I needed the combo set-up---I'd get the larger 3.6 cu ft size model.

If incorrect parts were ordered through Repair Clinic---they can be returned (must pay S & H)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#14 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

And they're not cheap either---when new---selling for around $1500.00

Ouch. I spoke too soon.

First, do no harm.

#15 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yep, even after the parts, it's still worth it.

I did replace the door lock just now (having held off on the control board). Still dE. Bad news. :-( I'll contact LG tomorrow to find out the exact control board model number.

#16 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

You had the right part number, John. Ordering it now.

#17 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Something about this process is cursed. Last night, after installing the door lock, I reassembled the whole thing around my kitten, who became trapped inside. It wouldn't be such a big deal except for that spring wire that holds the rubber gasket on the door that is SUCH a PITA to put back on. So yes, I rescued the kitten and reassembled the whole thing *again*.  :silly:

#18 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

<<<that spring wire that holds the rubber gasket on the door that is SUCH a PITA to put back on.>>>

This tool makes it easy...

383EER4001A

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#19 SusanR

SusanR

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, John - but that tool works well IF your spring springs. :-) Mine is pretty corroded. I have no trouble getting it off, using a special tool, but getting it back on is the hard part - though I'm getting better at it. And I'm NOT spending another $60 on a tool!!

Anyway - I replaced the control board (which I probably had to do anyway, as I had two inlet valves for the dryer cold water that died), and the machine passed the test cycles with flying colors. Yippee!

My last question for you, John, is do the door locks die, or are they usually pretty long-lasting? I'm asking because I think the one I took out is fine, and I'd like to get a refund on the one I bought if the other one is still good forever, but I'll leave it in if it's likely to go.

Oh, and one more question. What kind of cookies do you like? :-) You've been so helpful...

Thanks again! I'm so excited to be able to do laundry at HOME tonight!!!

EDIT: Leaning towards keeping it. This new lock is much quieter than the old one was.

Edited by SusanR, 15 March 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#20 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

<<<I replaced the control board>>>

<<<and the machine passed the test cycles with flying colors. Yippee!>>>

Great job, Susan :)

<<<My last question for you, John, is do the door locks die, or are they usually pretty long-lasting?>>>

Usually lasts for the life of the combo---but your original Door Lock Assy *was* exposed to a "short"---while in Locked Mode and may have been somewhat weakened/compromised.

I'd keep the new one too...

<<<Oh, and one more question. What kind of cookies do you like?>>>

Those peanut butter girl scout cookies (can't recall the name of it)  :)

God Bless

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics