Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

The Rag Man

maytag dryer won't start

5 posts in this topic

Maytag model#MED583TW0  I'm having issues with this dryer and I'm needing some insight.  The problem I'm having is that it just won't start.  You can turn it to either time dry or auto dry, press the start button, and no go!  Here's where it gets wierd...the timer will continue to tick down, it will continue to tick through the "cool down" section, and then it will start up in the "wrinkle free" section.  I'm thinking it's the timer but not sure.  Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... MED583TW0

might that be a

MED5830TW0 ?

doesn't make much sense, but then,

yes, it could be a bad Timer

Any part ordered from RepairClinic

can be returned for a refund (less shipping)

including installed electrical parts

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1180505

Timer-8566184-00707565.jpg

Wait, the timer motor keeps the knob turning right through the off position and then into another cycle beyond the off position?

And she won't start no matter where the timer is pointing?

Check the schematic (I can't find one online) to see if the timer motor is in series or parallel with anything crucial to the dryer's ability to start. Check to see if the timer motor has switched power or switched neutral. If there is a short some place then that may, I say may, be causing the timer motor to keep going and, at the same time, interfere with the unit's ability to start.

It all depends on how it was wired.

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar

Sure looks like a Maypool.....If the parts list is correct , I would look for the thermal fuse....P/N 3392519.......Opens the circuit  of the motor ........Some models, the timer runs when the door is closed..... some timers run all of the time, door open or closed....  For advancing to the next cycle, you could have an option button  that lets the timer advance  from a heated cycle ( With cool down ) to the wrinkle -free cycle ( stops and starts to keep items ' wrinkle-free' ).... Use your wire diagram.......

CTG51 has an interesting point. Is that "Wrinkle Free" a new cycle or just an anti-wrinkle feature such like "Tumble Fresh" is on the Whirlpool Duet washer?

If it's just an anti-wrinkle feature then ignore it and treat it the same as any no-start situation where you have power to the timer.