Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

G.E. Monogram Refrigerator # ZISS480DRISS, Dead compressor, Inverter, Board?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Everything on the GE Monogram seams to work except for the compressor, its cold and not running at all:

1.  I ran the diagnositc sequence on the control panel and the only thing that accomplished is making the lights in the beer section go off, what do i do to turn them back on?

2.  I checked the main board for any bad relays or burned up circuits, everything looked good, can it still be mother board problem?

3. How does one check the inverter and or compressor to see which is defective?

4  The home owner claims she hurd 'clanky funny' the last few weeks from the compressor, 'like pipes hitting together'.

5. Should I order both a inverter and mother board to be safe?

Thanks

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,370 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

"Clanky funny" doesn't sound good but it could simply be a failure of sufficient power from the inverter to start compressor. However The light issue would have me highly suspicious of the board or a power supply problem as well.

Check to make sure there is 120V going into the inverter. It receives it's power directly from the power supply with the board giving it instructions from the j15 pin. When the compressor is supposed to be running, 4 to 6 vdc should be present at j15 with all wires connected or 10 to 12 vdc if the inverter is disconnected.

If your inverter is receiving power and board commands, more than likely you have a bad inverter but you need to check compressor windings just to be sure. Each winding should show a resistance of 10 ohms +-1.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Good info, Thanks!

#4 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

First, two things cause clanking. One is when the black padding goo falls out from between the copper lines and some part of the unit cabinet. It'll clang and rattle like mad for a second everytime the compressor shuts off. The other thing is a bad compressor. Ask the customer if the rattling was constant or only for a second or two every once in a while.

What's the model #? I ask to see if the unit uses a 10942 mainboard or if the board it does use was replaced by the 10942. If it does, you can check the 115 out to the compressor at the blue connector on the bottom of the board.

Lastly, those power supplies are notoriously fragile and can easily be taken out by a loss of power to the house. I always recommend that a customer get a cheap surge protector and put it between the fridge and the wall outlet. Sometimes I even wonder about buying a half dozen and up-selling them along with water filters or stainless steel hoses.

An ex-GE factory tech I once worked with had a saying: "As long as GE keeps making appliances, we'll always have a job."

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar, 13 March 2013 - 06:37 PM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,370 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

What's the model #? I ask to see if the unit uses a 10942 mainboard or if the board it does use was replaced by the 10942. If it does, you can check the 115 out to the compressor at the blue connector on the bottom of the board.

An ex-GE factory tech I once worked with had a saying: "As long as GE keeps making appliances, we'll always have a job."

I believe on this model 120 volts is supplied to the inverter directly from the power supply which in turns powers the compressor. This voltage is always present independent of the board.  The board only sends instruction to the inverter. This fridge uses the 10560 board. However, even when the 10942 board is used on an inverter model,  the VAC line  out  to the compressor on the board is disabled. Remember an inverter compressor is a three phase variable speed compressor. No ptc is needed. If you or a board sends  120 vac to it directly, it will be "permanently damaged" according to GE.   Which means no hard starts on inverter compressors folks! Pretty soon everything we knew about fridges a year ago will go out the window.

gotta love GE!  

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics