Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jcramer

ASKO T721 Dryer does not start when start button pushed

6 posts in this topic

I have an ASKO T721 dryer. When I push the start button it buzzes but the drum does not start rotating.

If I wedge the door switch and use my hand to start the tumbler running manually it works perfectly.

In fact I dried 3 loads of clothes last night this way.

I know this machine has a "start capacitor" . Is this capacitor to surge the motor to start the drum turning?

If this is true I may need a start capacitor and not a motor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The start capacitor gives the motor the extra mojo it needs to start tumbling, especially with a wet load of clothes.  If it's bad, it could produce the symptoms you're seeing.  Have you tested it yet?  

Good capacitor:

meter-capacitor-good.gif

Evil, wicked, naughty capacitor:

meter-capacitor-shorted.gif

Thanks for the reply. I will check it and order a new start capacitor if I need to.

I have not tested it I have just been starting the drum manually and that works but it would be nice to get it working normally.

A repair tech told me I needed a new motor but that did not make sense to me since it works if i just get it started turning.

Jerry

Recently had a LG dryer with the same problem, same symptoms. Customer had the same solution as you...

A small spring mount on the motors centripetal start winding switch was broke. The Start Winding was stuck open and the wouldn't close that portion of the circuit when the motor stopped spinning. New Motor.

Start windings are used in electric motors for that extra uhmp to go from stop to running. But shut off once up to speed to prevent overheating of the motor.

But a simple test of the capacitor can revile all!

I would check both cap and start winding. A shorted cap may take out the start winding.