Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

AlexM

Kenmore Bottom Freezer Model# 596.73509201 Picking correct start device from P/N 8201786

8 posts in this topic

I needed to replace the relay and overload with P/N 8201786.  I followed the instructions and went to pick the correct overload and thats where i got confused.  The sixth digit in the model # is '5' so I assumed that the fridge is a 25 Cubic Foot and looked for the overload labeled with the # 2187145.

I couldn't find numbers on either that had the numbers referenced.  I used one and got the compressor started, am I doing damage to that compressor if I picked the wrong one?

post-71964-0-21758500-1363183908_thumb.j

post-71964-0-57045900-1363183945_thumb.j

post-71964-0-77645700-1363183972_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Model number??

Black dot for the 25 or under,  orange dot for the larger ones.

The 90 gets the orange all 80 & bellow, others get black.

So as not to confuse you i want reference the BLUE dot LOL.

look for the part number on the side with the color dots...........If I remember correctly, it gives you an Option 1  and an Option 2....The style of the start package.............Match and go...................Almost any combination will start the compressor, you want the one that is sized for your compressor....... All  thermal overloads in the kit will work ...The start relay is the important part to get correct.....

Shucks! I used the orange one, because I still have the black one in my truck.  Should I go back and swap them out, so I don't burn out there compressor?

Model# is in the title...596.73509201

Good question... I was warned long ago to not use the wrong overload. In the old school kits there was one starter and two overloads, with a white jumper lead.

I don't think, that is think, the starter itself is an issue but if you used the wrong overload it might not trip when it should. Since the overloads are in the combo and discreet relays these days you can assume that the overload inside that part wasn't the right one for that compressor.

I'd go back and swap it out to be sure. The last thing you need is to have the compressor overheat because the wrong overload was installed. The good news is that it probably won't cost you a lot of time or gas and you already have the part.

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar

Reg,

Great info on the TI overloads. Always wondered about those numbers.

All of the above is great info and a lot to digest for a rookie.  I had the opportunity to install another overload and relay on another compressor today.

I correctly matched the overload (black dot) for the compressor (photo attached) but then when I went to connect the wires, the existing spade ends were the big ones and the new start terminals are the small ones.  If i had the correct ends, could have I crimped them onto the wires and used them, or are they that size for reasons of correct voltage flow?  I ended up ordering the factory parts and will fix in the coming days.

post-71964-0-60950300-1363317251_thumb.j

post-71964-0-31524300-1363317303_thumb.j