Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Bottom Freezer Model# 596.73509201 Picking correct start device from P/N 8201786

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I needed to replace the relay and overload with P/N 8201786.  I followed the instructions and went to pick the correct overload and thats where i got confused.  The sixth digit in the model # is '5' so I assumed that the fridge is a 25 Cubic Foot and looked for the overload labeled with the # 2187145.

I couldn't find numbers on either that had the numbers referenced.  I used one and got the compressor started, am I doing damage to that compressor if I picked the wrong one?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Model number??

Black dot for the 25 or under,  orange dot for the larger ones.

The 90 gets the orange all 80 & bellow, others get black.

So as not to confuse you i want reference the BLUE dot LOL.

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

look for the part number on the side with the color dots...........If I remember correctly, it gives you an Option 1  and an Option 2....The style of the start package.............Match and go...................Almost any combination will start the compressor, you want the one that is sized for your compressor....... All  thermal overloads in the kit will work ...The start relay is the important part to get correct.....

#4 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Shucks! I used the orange one, because I still have the black one in my truck.  Should I go back and swap them out, so I don't burn out there compressor?

Model# is in the title...596.73509201

#5 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Good question... I was warned long ago to not use the wrong overload. In the old school kits there was one starter and two overloads, with a white jumper lead.

I don't think, that is think, the starter itself is an issue but if you used the wrong overload it might not trip when it should. Since the overloads are in the combo and discreet relays these days you can assume that the overload inside that part wasn't the right one for that compressor.

I'd go back and swap it out to be sure. The last thing you need is to have the compressor overheat because the wrong overload was installed. The good news is that it probably won't cost you a lot of time or gas and you already have the part.

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar, 13 March 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

http://appliantology...ssor-overloads/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Reg,
Great info on the TI overloads. Always wondered about those numbers.

#8 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

All of the above is great info and a lot to digest for a rookie.  I had the opportunity to install another overload and relay on another compressor today.

I correctly matched the overload (black dot) for the compressor (photo attached) but then when I went to connect the wires, the existing spade ends were the big ones and the new start terminals are the small ones.  If i had the correct ends, could have I crimped them onto the wires and used them, or are they that size for reasons of correct voltage flow?  I ended up ordering the factory parts and will fix in the coming days.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics