Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer Vent Tester

Part #W10106710

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

The Samurai talked about this vent tester in a post I can't find. The instructions say that this tester is for Whirlpool made dryers only. Does anyone know if this is true or just a disclaimer.http://www.repaircli...0106710/1447456Tester-W10106710-01180018.jpg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,620 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have that tester and it was designed to primarily work on the classic whirlpool dryers.  I can't remember exactly my thought pattern but when I first got it, I determined you can use it on other dryers by establishing a  reference point for that particular dryer and ignoring some of the built in warnings designed for the whirlpool dryers. Have not tried out this theory.

However, Sensei Reg recently referenced another device that happened to be exhibited at the ASTI training. http://www.lintalert.com/  the advantage of the lint alert is it's a perfect upsale for customer use. Permanently attach it for the customer and make $$$

btw they also exhibited a UL rated flexible vent hose that passes building codes. Apparently you can use it instead of semi rigid aluminum duct but has the flexibility of foil ducting. Looks like flexible foil ducting but it felt much sturdier. http://www.dryerflex.com/  Another great item to sale to customer.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,063 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I've tried it on different brands of dryers and it works the same way.  It's just marketing hype by Whirlpool since it's their product offering.  

All dryers work the same way:  heat the clothes to turn water trapped in the fabric into water vapor in the head space of the drum.  At 100% humidity, the air in the drum space is saturated and can't hold any more water vapor not matter how much heat is added.  That vapor has to be removed to keep the head space at a certain relative humidity to continue the water transfer process from clothes, to air, to vent.  The vent is key to removing the water vapor.  The instrument is really just a pitot tube that measures negative pressure.  The key variable in pitot tubes in fluid density (the air-water vapor mixture).  So this pitot-tube based instrument will work the same way in any dryer operating in an air-breathing home here on earth.  Now, if it were a dryer, Whirlpool or not, operating on the Moon or Mars, this instrument would not be properly calibrated for those fluid (atmospheric) densities.    

Santa, here's the post at my blog you were looking for ==> http://appliantology...and-efficiency/

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, good info but Damn! I can't take it with me on my next SpaceX mission. :spacecraft:

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

The instrument is really just a pitot tube that measures negative pressure.  The key variable in pitot tubes in fluid density (the air-water vapor mixture).  So this pitot-tube based instrument will work the same way in any dryer operating in an air-breathing home here on earth.  Now, if it were a dryer, Whirlpool or not, operating on the Moon or Mars, this instrument would not be properly calibrated for those fluid (atmospheric) densities.    

oooookaaay.....but did you consider the effect a nearby supermassive black hole would have on  a non calibrated GE washer's density as it relates to the secondary protocol of a random subatomic higgs boson symmetry of pre 911 Whirlpools?  Betcha didn't figure on that, now did ya?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,063 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Of course, the recent discovery of the God Particle changes all physics as we know it.  I humbly sit corrected.  

65ce3754a9.jpg

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

A good appliance tech is like a good lawyer (but cheaper), we only ask questions we know the answer too. I love the tester, I can put my meter leads across the hi limit on a dryer and show a homeowner and builder that the vent is the issue all day long as voltage is present when the hi limit opens (120 G or 240 E) when the vent is connected and then show how it cycles on the regulating t-stat with the vent off, but they will not believe me or know what I'm talking about. I use the vent tester it has pretty flashing lights and comes up Poor with the vent on and good with it off, that's better then a note from their brother in law the plumber! We know before we test a unit for the most part. I've used it on all brands to prove a point (if it does not  prove the point I want I put it back in the bag!). It was designed for the Whirlpool top filter and filter in the door units, but it seems to work on almost all. The one it does not seem to be real accurate on is the Cabrio style dryer with the blower belt. I've tested short runs, 4 feet rigid with an elbow right out the wall to a working vent cap and had the meter show poor vent.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Classic post Trying, from beginning to end!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics