Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sunlight Appliance

jvm1441wh01 GE MICROWAVE comes on by itself even with DOOR OPEN!

6 posts in this topic

I was called over for a dryer repair and, when finished, my clients asked,

"Oh by the way, can you look at our microwave?"

Runs with the door open. What is causing this you guys? How dangerous is this? I told them not to use it. The way it worked when I was there is that they started it and stopped it at 1:03. Then I opened the door to examine the locking mechanism / latches and it came on....with the door still open!

What do you think is going on?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yeah, you told them right. Running a microwave with the door open aint the healthiest thing they could do.

It's extremely dangerous to run a microwave when open. Far, far more dangerous than testing a weak oven igniter with your face pressed up to the door glass.

Never, ever run one open. It's designed to heat the water contained in anything the energy gets to... including the home owner.

The only way one will run with the door open is if the door interlock switch is shorted, broken or otherwise defeated.

Chances are the magnetron tube is not energized when the door is open if it was  to happen even for a split second, the fuse inside of the microwave would have blown. That's why there are usually always 3 door switches in a microwave oven, in the event the one that controls the magnetron were to stick in the closed position.

Very well. Thank you all for the education. Very useful and helpful.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0