Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Protecting Your Appliances from Surges and Other Crap on the Power Lines

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 appleimac

appleimac

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

:yikes: the link for appliance magazine dot com, regarding protecting appliances from surges did not work - I was frustrated when I bought two new a/c units, one thru the wall, one casement window unit - I called the manufacturers asking about surge protection and the circuit boards - all I got was brain-dead responses like "you can't use any extension cord" - I tried to explain I dun wanna use a extension cord, but wanted to know about using a surge protector. All I could get out of Whirlpool, or Sears, was to use nothing.

I have heard of whole house surge protectors being destroyed by lightning, along with all of the equipment - what is advised for protecting appliances, such as my Frigidaire front load washer, fridge, and a/c units?

Dennis in San Diego area :poison:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

If all said machines fit the ordinary single phase outlet, there's no real reason why you CAN'T use an extension cord w/surge protection... if there's no other way of getting individual surge protection, just get a good grounded extension cord with thick wire gauge, and not too long, one for each machine (sure not to overload the circuit or cord).... check that they have surge protection, and NOT GFI because GFI is no good with any of the said devices.

Well, at least back here, there are no legal regulations against using any appliance on an extension cord as long as the current handling capacity is sufficient, and care is observed to not damage the cords. Don't know for sure, but over there, you use half the voltage and double the current mostly so it puts more stress on all connections.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#23 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

[user=35154]appleimac[/user] wrote:

:yikes: the link for appliance magazine dot com, regarding protecting appliances from surges did not work...

the link works for me !

or try this shortened link

http://www.appliance...hp?article=1059

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#24 JPMOSE

JPMOSE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:34 AM

Great information!   I have one of those  plug in continuity checks, which has different lights to determine whether your wiring is set up properly.   Would this be a good check?   My house is 5 years old and most of the handyman types in the neighborhood praise the quality of our electrical system.   I know there is a rod going into the earth with a ground wire attached to it.

All the best,

JP Mose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics