Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Recommend a good dryer review site?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have repaired my dryer three times in the last 10 years.  I bought it used for $250 about 12 years ago. I believe it has served me well.  It won't shut off unless we manually shut it off.  I have no time to go through the many common and uncommon possible causes, so I decided to put it to rest.

Now I have no clue what brand to look into.  I only know I will not buy Kenmore or Frigidaire branded products.  Can anyone recommend a good comparison site that takes reliabilty into account?

Thanks!

Edited by NickG, 15 March 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

..  I have no time to go through the many common and uncommon possible causes

it may be a simple problem

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yes, it may be a simple problem.  Looking at thelist of possibilities, I do not know how to check many of them.  I feel like I could be buying trial and error parts just to get to the issue.

I have ten-year-old triplets... baseball, scouts, play rehersals,... I'm either somewhere with these kids, or on the road driving them there lately :)

#4 maytagman

maytagman

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

I can't tell you a site, but I think the opinions of some of the professional techs here would be as good as any website you will find, especially consumer reports. It has always baffled me how a whirlpool made kenmore product can be rated way above the actual whirlpool branded one. In my opinion I would go with a whirlpool/maytag style dryer and stay away from GE or Frigidaire products.

#5 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I would be more than happy with the opinions here. This place has never let me down :). Just thought this may be a very subjective question and one that might be over asked.

#6 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dechutes brewing co. Red Chair

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I myself really like the Whirlpool Products. They seem to hold up well and when they do need repairing they are usually much cheaper than other brands. Other brands to look at would be Samsung and LG. Many Techs are a little leary of these brands (because they are a little harder to service in some cases) but they seem to be great dryers. Good Luck

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 3,998 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Whirlpool brands... easy to find parts and techs
Samsung, LG..... parts usually less expensive (their official stand is they are not trying to make money from parts)... harder to find techs.

Although I have been and probably still am partial to Whirlpool (mostly because of their glorious past products), my standard statement when asked is "Even the best of these companies make lemons from time to time. There is much cross manufacturing now and the operating principles are becoming more similar even when the manufacturing is different. Your best bet is to not succumb to salesmen's tactics but obtain the model number of a machine you seem to like. Research it online and look for user reviews. You will find many negative comments on just about all of the new machines. You may want to consider the ones that have the fewest negative reviews."

This has worked well for me and avoids the "and you're the one who told me to buy this piece of junk" statement
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#8 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I usually recommend one with the least bells and whistles and electronics. Whirlpool would be my first choice. I sell Crosley washer and dryers that are made by Whirlpool and they come with a 1 year factory warranty and a free 10 year warranty on the motor and heating element (parts only) www.crosley.com

Edited by bayouboy, 16 March 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 3,998 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

...... come with a 1 year factory warranty and a free 10 year warranty on the motor and heating element ....

better enjoy it while you can....manufactures indicated during the convention they will soon be going to a 90 day warranty.  I guess the retailer will have to take up the warranty slack.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#10 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thats a great was to boost consumer confidence!

#11 Dean

Dean

Unsui

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I too would recommend any whirlpool top loader. The parts are easily obtained and relatively inexpensive.

#12 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

I've always recommended whirlpool products

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

This may shock some people---but I recommend the LG electric dryer :)

LG Heating Elements virtually never fail.

I *do* like both of the current Whirlpool dryer designs. However---some of Whirlpool's replacement parts prices have increased---more than 100%.

http://blueshiftidea...MarketShare.pdf

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#14 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I suppose Whirlpool has a lot going for them in choosing.  Question... my wife keeps finding deals on Speedqueens.  I had never heard of them until I recently realized they are the brand in our local laundrymat.  Obviously, they seem to have a good commercial line.  Are they anything to speak of for domestic use?

#15 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sun Tea w/lemon or lime

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

http://appliantology...l=+speed +queen

Yes 2 thumbs up for S.Q.!

#16 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Looks like it will be the Speed Queen.  Everywhere I look, I see this as low as $649 and as high as $799.  The local "small box" store that is family owned and operated quoted me $599 for both this one AND a comparable Whirlpool.  After reading here and elsewhere about the brand, and seeing that it is made in the USA, I feel this is a no-brainer EXCEPT... I am leary about the lint screen.  I like the steel mesh of the pull-out kind on top.  This one has the pocket at the bottom of the door that you "scoop" out.  The lint screen seems a plastic, flimsy material.  I see it wearing out after continued scraping of finger tips/nails constantly scraping the bottom of the lint "basket".  The narrow opening makes reaching in with fingers and scraping side to side the natural procedure.  Am I concerned about nothing?

ADG3LR  41UEdV6vxpL._SY300_.jpg

#17 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

By the way, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site.  I have employed it MANY times and ALWAYS with excellent advice and direction.  I am so wishy washy about buying most anything significant and it really helps to have the knowledge and experience base here.  Thanks again.  Now over to the kitchen appliance forum to talk new dishwashers :)

#18 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

im and sorry to say that that dryer will let you down go with the wirlpool ,estate, maytag, amana all built in the same factory and u can find a better price than that  SQ 

#19 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

... By the way, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site. 

... I have employed it MANY times and ALWAYS with excellent advice and direction.

we're listening  :pint1:

you mentioned SQ ADG3LR

... then you're looking for a Gas Dryer ?

Roper Gas Dryer RGD4640YQ

Made by Whirlpool

$ 449 w/ free delivery

883049258645lg.jpg

W1202056-00001.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#20 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

im and sorry to say that that dryer will let you down go with the wirlpool ,estate, maytag, amana all built in the same factory and u can find a better price than that  SQ 

"that dryer will let you down"   Your statement is very vague.  In this very thread, I got a huge "yes" and a vague "no" on the SQ.  I have found overwhelming positive reviews with the SQ.  Please elaborate? 

Although price is a factor, a difference of $100 isn't terribly choice-altering for me on a product that has won my confidence. 

The Roper is less expensive, but it is also a 1/2 cu ft smaller.  And the SQ comes with a 3 year parts and labor warranty.  I feel the extra $100 has some value to it.

Still, I am listening...  is there something about the SQ that I should know?  (still not crazy about that lint screen).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics