Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sunlight Appliance

ABB1927DES Amana Bottom Freezer unit with clogged evaporator. Refrigerator.

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My client has a bottom freezer-style fridge by Amana that is not letting cool air enter the fresh food compartment.

Complaint is: Freezer works great, but fridge is warm.

I disassembled the freezer and took a look at the evaporator frost pattern and it is just clogged to the max with ice. I tested the heater and the thermostat for continuity and they both are good.

There is a thermistor in the freezer compartment and a controlboard/display in the fridge. The damper is wide open and air is blowing through from the evaporator fan in the freezer.

I put in the manual request a few minutes ago. Whereto next, guys?

:thanks:

Edited by Sunlight Appliance

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

On this fridge, only three items can cause a defrost failure. Heater, limit or the control (jazz) board. Through process of elimination, you probably have a bad board. You may be able to confirm it by putting the board in forced defrost mode. If your heater turns on, then your board is not going into defrost mode without being forced. But even if it doesn't turn the heater on during a forced defrost, your process of elimination supercedes board diagnostics so replace board anyway.

I have found more than one of these jazz boards that had the compressor relay stuck....so, even though it was defrosting on schedule, the thing never stopped cooling, and still eventually led to a clogged coil.

More often than not the compressor relay on the board Kurtius mentioned is the problem. I found this out when I turned the temp to the warmest setting until the fridge should have been off, but you will hear the compressor keep running. Also look close at the defrost tstat. Sometimes they ohm fine but if you look close the top it may be slightly popped up.

Domo for letting us know!

Jazz board has become standard truck item just like ge muddaboard. Went through 3 this week and it's only Thursday.

Try turning the settings zero/off... Check the compressor to make sure it is off... A lot of times it will be running still when it should be off. And you can knock near the board to get the relay to shut off...

I got a jazz board the other day that wasn't split in two. Never had one like that before.  Freaked out a bit since I was terrified of snapping it for fear of breaking it. It snapped without incident although I had this perplexed look on my face.    So added another maxim to my ever growing list.....Always check your parts boxes and for God's sake, never open a parts box for the first time while in front of the customer.

So added another maxim to my ever growing list.....Always check your parts boxes and for God's sake, never open a parts box for the first time while in front of the customer.

Amen and amen! Learned that one the hard way.