Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer WPRB8050D1WW

Does not spin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Ideas what to look for in a complaint washer does every thing but spin.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

If the motor doesn't run and isn't humming, it's a bad control board. If the motor is running, check to see if the belt is slipping (no clutch pulley on this model). You should be able to freely rotate the motor pulley clockwise (viewed from below) which should turn the belt, main drive pulley, transmission and basket. You need to use two hands to keep the motor pulley going to keep the brake released. If it's very difficult to rotate, there may be clothing between the tubs or the split ring between basket and spin tube is bad. If the motor and main drive pulley are rotating but the transmission is not, then either the spring on the bottom of the transmission is broken or the brake cam is not working.

Eric

#3 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

lid switch

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

check the operation of the Water Level Pressure Switch (and tubing)

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=963666

Pressure-Switch-WH12X10227-00985506.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Everything working but spin indicates the water level switch is working. Washer would not agitate if lid switch is bad.

Eric

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Everything working but spin indicates the water level switch is working. Washer would not agitate if lid switch is bad.

That is why asked if anybody Had an issue where washer would fill agitate & drain & not spin.     Call is 5pm this afternoon Probably something simple.  Customer is not giving complete information more than likely, probable doesnot agitate either.   Thanks for all input,  As always this site :dazzler: Rocks.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Tub & basket Are locked up cannot turn any direction.  Agitator moves about quarter revolution.  Does not agitate although customer says it agitated last night with a load of towels.  Is the repair difficult on the transmission.  Peered down the sides of the tub Could not see anything between tub & basket.  customer stopped me from digging further ie. pulling basket from tub.  Unit was rusted on inside fairly good.  They decided to get new front load washer.   For further Knowlege can you explain what is invoved in repairing brake or spring on transmision?   Gracious

Edit side note: looking under tranny to pulley  I see oil/grease residue on shaft.

Edited by Patricio, 19 March 2013 - 08:34 PM.

IgonFishn

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

What is the main drive pulley doing when you run it in agitate and spin? Do you have the tech sheet from the washer? You can go into service mode and place it directly into agitate or spin mode from there.

Eric

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Main drive pulley is locked,  Motor turns barely but belt & pulley will not budge.  Put it in agitate & spin cycle.  Either something wrapped under drum & shaft or transmission locked.   Customer stopped me before I could pull agitator & agitator block.  Could not find anything where transmission could be rebuilt, nothing on the brake system.  All I could find was something on a coil spring that regulated the agitate & spin cycle.   Clue on some posts or videos on this tranny.

Could not find tech sheet on washer only what Samurai gave me on this site.

Do not know how to put it in service mode, never was able to find that info.

IgonFishn

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Something caught between the tubs woud not prevent agitation. Pull the agitator, if nothing jamming it and you can't rotate the main drive pulley CCW (viewed from below), then the transmission is shot. Transmission is generally not serviceable as parts are not readily available. There was a kit available to repair the brake cam and I have seen the LGS spring on ebay but those would only affect spin. To get to service mode, press/hold the Whites and Start buttons until all led's light up (3 seconds). Now press Colors to go forward through the functions and Whites to go backwards. The functions are, model code, error code, hot valve, cold valve, agitate low speed, agitate high speed, pump and spin high speed. So press Whites once to go to spin high speed, once more to pump, once more to agitate high speed...etc.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics