Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Seasonal equipment advice

Snow blower lawnmower ethanol bad gas storage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Boston Lager

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

This area (upstate NY) has a BIG problem with ethanol in fuel. The ethanol will separate from the gasoline as it ingests moisture and fall out of solution with the gasoline. The end result is low octane fuel, and a layer of water in the tank. Failure to deal with this will guarantee starting issues in the fall. There are 2 popular ways of dealing with this issue, first is to avoid fuel containing ethanol (very difficult to do) or add a stabilizer that has an enzyme that is supposed to maintain the miscibility of the ethanol in gasoline.

Gasoline that uses ethanol is made to a lower octane rating and the ethanol raises the octane level. When the ethanol absorbs water (which it loves to do, think dry gas) then goes through a significant temperature swing (seasonal changes) the ethanol/water blend falls to the bottom of the tank and is often the first thing picked up by the carb. The majority of old style stabilizers only dealt with the gasoline evaporative issues (“light ends” or the main volatile component of gas evaporates readily) leaving a varnish like substance. The “new fuels” don’t survive long enough for this problem to manifest.

The water that sits in the bottom of the tank can rot steel tanks, and will foul carbs when it sits in the fuel bowl.

My advice is:

Treat ALL seasonal fuels with  Star-Tron, or similar ethanol treatments.

Purchase only enough fuel for the season, and treat every batch

(you never know when the last seasonal use is going to be)

Treating all the fuel ensures the treated stuff is IN the whole fuel system.

Using a flashlight look into the fuel tanks and see if separation has occurred,

If it has, dispose of the fuel, it isn’t useable. You can dispose of small (less than 2 gallons) in your car, if you

have a mostly full tank.

Drain fuel bowls when possible, and use fuel shutoffs to empty fuel bowls (shut off fuel and run till stall)

This can reduce the amount of muck that will deposit in the jet.

If you have contaminated fuel, and the machine won’t start, or seems under powered, remove the fuel, and replace

with fresh treated fuel, including the fuel bowl. If that doesn’t fix it, you will need to have the carb serviced

replacement needle and seat kits, are available, lets can often be cleaned, DO NOT ADJUST MIXTURES,

they are set by the factory, and adjustment can violate emission laws.

Hope this helps with ethanol understanding, please look at the many online discussions of ethanol in gasoline for more tips to deal with it. Boat owners should be particularly wary of ethanol in fuel. The ethanol can destroy fiberglass tanks as well.

Thanks for your attention,

Chief Apprentice Appliantologist; Apliantology.org

Dave Bradshaw

ASE certified Mechanic

Nate Certified HVAC Tech

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger.....at this rate I'll be invincible by Tuesday!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Great advice, Dave!  Briggs and Stratton makes a good fuel stabilizer that treats up to 10 gallons of gas per container.  

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I use something down here called 'Mechanic in a bottle.'  works damn good also.  revitalises stal fuel.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:......coffee, any coffee.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thank you for the info on ethanol and how it affects the engine.  My local mechanic has recommended sticking with 'straight' gasoline (no ethanol) whenever possible.  It is more expensive, but I notice an improvement in idle (smoother) and more power (subjective and not quantified.) 

My tale of woe: I have a weed wacker, that has been hard to start, and losing power for years.  It is a 2 cycle motor, and I had been using the ethanol blended gasoline for as long as it has been available (ignorance on my part - and I am cheap.) Last year, it would not start, so I dismantled the engine, and found the main fuel hose and primer hose had become gooey and were dissolving. Has to replace the hoses and clean the carb to get the unit to start.

I understand that engines that can use the ethanol blend have hoses and seals that can withstand the effects of ethanol.

I usually use a gas stabilizer in all my power equipment fuel, and have been adding Sea Foam, again on my mechanics' recommendation.

#5 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Another vote for Sea Foam.

Sea Foam stabilizes for 2 years.

Sta-Bil for 6 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics