Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Front Load Washer GHW9150PW0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Customer reports this washer will not spin heavy loads properly. She states that with a "regular" load it spins properly, but if she washes a bedspread (which she has done many times prior with no problems) it will not spin at full speed. My first thought is the load is getting out of balance, but the customer thinks the belt is slipping. Anyone encountered this problem or have advice on how to diagnose? I go on this one tomorrow.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Not a slipping belt.  

Usually won't spin to speed because of off balance issues.  In your case I would first check the type of soap = if she is not using HE, the soap will hold excess water in the bedding and prevent it from spinning.  Also check the pin trap for restrictions.  Those are the 2 things that come immediately to mind.

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,995 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Pretty sure the belt is not slipping. I've never seen a dc motor have a belt slip during spin. Sounds like your right on with the unbalanced load. Good luck. Sounds like your customer is gonna be a hard fix. (They already know the problem) lol.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Good points, Strath.

jlb, you should also run the unit in diagnostic mode (empty drum) to see if 1) the unit will actually go into high speed spin and 2) floor stability during spin.  

We have lots of old houses up here in yankeeland (built in 1832 or 1799, that kind of thing-- it's considered kitschy or some crap, I dunno) with rickety wood floors that change virtually every year with the snow load, mud season, foundation settling, etc.  So where a front loader ran fine the previous year, it doesn't now with the change in the floor. 

What kind of floor is this unit on?

Is this unit part of a stack laundry?

#5 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law passed away this afternoon and I have cancelled all of my calls for the rest of the week. I plan to go on this call next week and I will post the results of my findings then.

#6 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Condolences brother!  Take care of yer family ... they ALWAYS come first!  

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#7 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Finally back to work. After running this washer in test mode, the washer is fine; however, as suspected, the floor is weakening and transferring vibration. I installed some vibration pads and tested with a bedspread and the unit went through high spin just fine. Believe it or not, the customer insisted the belt was slipping before so I put a new belt on at her request. She said she would use it heavily after I left and would call if any problems arise. No call in 2 days so I am assuming she is fixed for now. If she doesn't do something about that floor though, I am sure I'll be back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics