Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air Range Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lrappl

lrappl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have a Jenn Air slide in Range SVE 47600B.

I'm trying to figure out how to tell if I need a new Electronic Oven Control Assembly or a Relay Board.

Symptoms:

Range Top works fine

Oven does not work.  If I try to preheat, the preheat indicator light comes on for a few seconds and then the temperature I set holds steady - as if it believes the oven has reached that temperature.

The oven fan runs continuously.

Anyone have a clue which part I need?  

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

check temp probe and harness....Does Broil work?  If so, check elements for grounding. Here's some light reading for you..

http://appliantology...-maytag-models/

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,169 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm guessing you mean the cooling fan is running all the time, not the convection fan inside the oven?  The cooling fan running continuously is a tell-tale sign on this unit that the relay board is bad.  Here's a pictorial odyssey of how to change out the relay board on this beast

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

High-Limit-Thermostat-74009837-00564142.

Also check Hi Limit Thermo Switch, cuts off the elements, but not the cooling fan:

http://www.repaircli...4009837/1072642

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

High-Limit-Thermostat-74009837-00564142.

Also check Hi Limit Thermo Switch, cuts off the elements, but not the cooling fan:

http://www.repaircli...4009837/1072642

always always check hi limits regardless of error codes or lack of error codes. 

#6 lrappl

lrappl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hmmmm...the high limit thermo switch sounds interesting!  This problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

It worked fine the evening after the cleaning but then the problem began the next day.

I think the fan that is running is the convection oven fan..but I'm not sure.  

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hmmmm...the high limit thermo switch sounds interesting!  This problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

I was gonna ask if you guys had been using the Self Destruct...uh Self Clean Button but figured that if you have been on this site for even a little while, you'd know that self cleaning is taboo!!

If only I could wire customer's self clean button to play a modified version of the following song, each time it's touched...

Or maybe the customer has to do a destruct sequence before initiating it...something like:

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

... problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

:nono:

“My Rules”:
Rule #1) Don't ever use Self-Clean on any Oven.
Rule #2) If you're thinking about using Self-Clean, see rule #1.
Self-Clean uses nearly 1000F for 3 hours or more. burnin.gif
That can wreak havoc on Electronic Controllers and Connections.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

If the high limit was bad, it would stay in preheat forever as this unit is a temp preheat and not a time preheat.. If the cooling fan is running on this unit in bake, then either the sensor, or the oven power relay board on the back thinks the oven is oboave 500 degrees. You either have a bad sensor or bad Power Relay Board.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#10 lrappl

lrappl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

What's the best way to determine if it's the sensor or the relay?

By the way - thanks for the replies.  You guys are very helpful!

#11 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

You will have to ohm it out. A sensor should ohm aproximitly 1050 Ohms at room temp. First thing I would do is programa Bake 550 temp. In a few seconds it will drop down to what it (It as in circuit between sensor and relay board on the back of the unit) thinks it is in the oven. If it drops to say 450, then the circuit thinks it is 450. Since you know the oven is at room temp, you then kill power to the unit and ohm the sensor, The higher the ohms, the hotter it thinks the unit is. Rule of thumb is 100 degrees is 1100 ohms. For every 50 degrees you go up, you go up 100 ohms. If your sensor ohms out at around 1800 ohms, it thinks room temp oven is 450 degrees. SInce you stated it happened shortly after the clean, I bet your sensor connector is crispy. Plus that sensor is a whole lot cheaper than the Power Relay Board (PRB)    

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#12 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Is this close?

Attached Files

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 23 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics