Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

lrappl

Jenn Air Range Troubleshooting

12 posts in this topic

I have a Jenn Air slide in Range SVE 47600B.

I'm trying to figure out how to tell if I need a new Electronic Oven Control Assembly or a Relay Board.

Symptoms:

Range Top works fine

Oven does not work.  If I try to preheat, the preheat indicator light comes on for a few seconds and then the temperature I set holds steady - as if it believes the oven has reached that temperature.

The oven fan runs continuously.

Anyone have a clue which part I need?  

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I'm guessing you mean the cooling fan is running all the time, not the convection fan inside the oven?  The cooling fan running continuously is a tell-tale sign on this unit that the relay board is bad.  Here's a pictorial odyssey of how to change out the relay board on this beast

Hmmmm...the high limit thermo switch sounds interesting!  This problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

It worked fine the evening after the cleaning but then the problem began the next day.

I think the fan that is running is the convection oven fan..but I'm not sure.  

Hmmmm...the high limit thermo switch sounds interesting!  This problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

I was gonna ask if you guys had been using the Self Destruct...uh Self Clean Button but figured that if you have been on this site for even a little while, you'd know that self cleaning is taboo!!

If only I could wire customer's self clean button to play a modified version of the following song, each time it's touched...

Or maybe the customer has to do a destruct sequence before initiating it...something like:

... problem began a day or two after using the clean cycle.

:nono:

“My Rules”:

Rule #1) Don't ever use Self-Clean on any Oven.

Rule #2) If you're thinking about using Self-Clean, see rule #1.

Self-Clean uses nearly 1000F for 3 hours or more. burnin.gif

That can wreak havoc on Electronic Controllers and Connections.

If the high limit was bad, it would stay in preheat forever as this unit is a temp preheat and not a time preheat.. If the cooling fan is running on this unit in bake, then either the sensor, or the oven power relay board on the back thinks the oven is oboave 500 degrees. You either have a bad sensor or bad Power Relay Board.

What's the best way to determine if it's the sensor or the relay?

By the way - thanks for the replies.  You guys are very helpful!

You will have to ohm it out. A sensor should ohm aproximitly 1050 Ohms at room temp. First thing I would do is programa Bake 550 temp. In a few seconds it will drop down to what it (It as in circuit between sensor and relay board on the back of the unit) thinks it is in the oven. If it drops to say 450, then the circuit thinks it is 450. Since you know the oven is at room temp, you then kill power to the unit and ohm the sensor, The higher the ohms, the hotter it thinks the unit is. Rule of thumb is 100 degrees is 1100 ohms. For every 50 degrees you go up, you go up 100 ohms. If your sensor ohms out at around 1800 ohms, it thinks room temp oven is 450 degrees. SInce you stated it happened shortly after the clean, I bet your sensor connector is crispy. Plus that sensor is a whole lot cheaper than the Power Relay Board (PRB)    

Is this close?

post-5093-0-71325800-1364075741_thumb.jp

Edited by Chat_in_FL