Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Lfx25976st Score - Fridge: 3 Repair Guys: 0

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

This fridge an LG Lfx25978st, is kicking major bootay, and I may be next at bat. Customer called and said the flex mold Ice maker in the fresh food compartment is causing issues. Sometimes...not all the time....but Sometimes, the flex mold is not being returned to proper resting position. Happens often, no pattern, but the same 10% short of flat position causing ice and water falls. Sears went out twice, tried two new ice makers and a board.  Same problem. LG certified tech went out next, replace the Icemaker  a third time but same problem. Both Sears and certified company were talking to lg tech line while on site.  Official statement, engineering failure.   Customer got his money back but kept fridge.  He either wants to sell it or get it repaired and I'm the lucky person who will either buy it and repair it to sell or repair it for the customer. Deep down, something tells me to avoid it as it may be the first reporting of a potential recall issue.  Anybody have any clue what could be happening?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Even if you can't fix it, it's just an ice maker. Would make a nice spare frig. I'm assuming it's new.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

yeah 2010 model...but when we sell things in our refurbished store..everything, ice makers, clocks and even indicator lights must work.. We are very picky like that but we are known and sought out because of it.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hmm, randomly occurring event.  Adaptive defrost can act random, too, because it considers so many in-use variables.  Run the unit in your shop with your data logger in the freezer and compare freezer temp warmup times with the times noted when the tray fails to return to flat postion.  Could anything from water vapor getting in the ice maker guts during defrost and freezing to an EMF interference between the ADC and icemaker electronics.  Only thing I can think of to correlate and it'd be interesting to look at the graphs.  

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

but would temps stop the tray from returning to normal position? I could understand it not initiating a cycle.  The thing is even when it is at 10-20% short of being flat, it will still call for water...which causes the water/ice fall.

Water vapor and electronic interference  are  interesting theories.  I can see where  data logging would help.

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I didn't say anything about reselling it. Keep it for your loyal employees. Pack it full of beer and beef :yes:

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

but would temps stop the tray from returning to normal position? 

I was imagining water vapor condensing on the mechanism or control board, re-freezing and causing problems that way.  Just a WAG.  Same with the EMF.  Probably something we would never imagine.  A temperature correlation might reveal some kinda pattern.  

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

<<<Sears went out twice, tried two new ice makers and a board.  Same problem. LG certified tech went out next, replace the Icemaker  a third time but same problem.>>>

Problably no way to verify but---it's possible that the LG/Sears servicers and Technical Assistance are unaware of the following...

Beginning March 2012-----A 7th re-designed IceMaker kit was introduced to correct the symptoms that you've described.

Old Part Numbers:

AEQ7290401

AE17290402

AEQ7290404

AEQ7290405

AEQ7290406

As of March 2012---current icemaker part number is---> AEQ7290408

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

It doesn't surprise me they did not know it. I have little faith in Sears and that particular lg certified company that attempted the repair.Also I doubt Sears would have refunded $2000 without talking to LG extensively. But what doesn't surprise me, what I have lots of faith in and what I do not doubt is your ability and knowledge of LG appliances. I'm also sure your knowledge of many issues far exceeds that of some tech line paper pusher....so...back to the game in progress...

"bottom of the 9th..bases loaded...Tech's down by 3. there's a change in the line up....it can't be....no it isn't!....yes it is!..coming in at cleanup, is John63!" (crowd roars)

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

uh oh....AEQ7290408  is in the fridge already according to customer. It was put in by the last company with an icemaker kit dated Jan 2013 send directly from LG..

Strike one!.

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

<laugh>

Thank you, Durham.

It's still a rough guess---I usually like to post a reply---if I think that I have a greater than 75 percentile chance of being of real assistance.

I also recall that---several LG training seminars back---this icemaker issue was covered.

<<<I'm also sure your knowledge of many issues far exceeds that of some tech line paper pusher.>>>

Sadly---that's true in some cases. Although there are a few that are bright/knowledgeable/very helpful.

Whenever I call tech assistance---I think of Apollo 13 Cmdr Jim Lovell...

"Houston,we have a problem".

I'm expecting a Gene Kranz to answer the phone :)

Edited by john63, 22 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#12 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sometimes...not all the time....but Sometimes, the flex mold is not being returned to proper resting position. Happens often, no pattern, but the same 10% short of flat position causing ice and water falls. Sears went out twice, tried two new ice makers

<<<and a board.>>>

Next pitch----a wicked Nolan Ryan knuckleball...

Verify that the DISPLAY BOARD (on the door) is the correct replacement---also manufactured Mar 2012 or later...

DISPLAY BOARD---->EBR67357901

Part number: AP5260952

Part number: AP5260952

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#13 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Are we absoloutly sure the problem isnt external? I dunno, water pressure,gfi, floating ground, hell I dont know. Sound kinda flaky to me Does the flex tray not return every time or only sporadically. Rule of thumb is that an intermittant problem is almost always external. Forgive me but I think outside the box. Okay, time for my meds. ........

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#14 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I work for Sears and we do use the 408. We have for quite awhile. Please enlighten us dumb Sears techs on how to fix this problem. We have guys that throw parts on and don't trouble shoot. We are all not all that way. The problem lies with management pushing to much work on us with very little time. I will say I went through many ice makers and it did fix some. Then others we just couldn't fix, so we tried valves and pcb. We don't get time to sit there all day when you are pretty much expected to run every call in 35 minutes.

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

i already asked about power issues. I'm also believe in thinking out the box. The only thing that bothers me regarding external issue is that when the tray falls short, it is always in the same position. Logic dictates it is not something as random as an external power issue. The failure occurs about 70 percent of the time. The fridge thinks the tray is the proper position since it attempts to fill it.

I have three thoughts.... 1) apparently with all the revisions made to fix an ice maker motor lock, maybe each revision fixed a group the next revision fixed another group including the previous group etc. Maybe another revision is needed to fix a smaller remaining group.

2nd thought... maybe the ice motor lock problem that is solved by replacing the icemaker is not the proper diagnosis.
3) Curious to know the inner workings of the ice maker motor ie at 90 percent of completion is a signal being sent or received by the motor. If so, that may give a hint as to what to look at next.

#16 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Its problem is it is now small electronic solid state devices made poorly.  Limit switch, replaced by sensor.  My thought pattern has words like, dead band, Hystersis (that means error tollerance)  like horse shoes, get it close and it thinks it's good.  Lots of these devices need to see the target and then it out puts lets say 5 vdc.  They can get to a point where they leak, let the voltage pass,   so in this case it may be just a poor diaod.

We had a porportional controller, that used a potentiometer on the wheel of a gear tied to the motor.  They would jump out of calibration range.

You will probally have to have the engineering design, and see what  device, type of limit, or sensor is used for detecting a flat tray.

I have seen things like a power supply cause the problem on a big PLC controlled oven,  The termicouple signal (thermistor in the case of new appliance)

was loosing it's feed, the oven would shut down.  The thermalcouples in this case use analog input cards to feed back the signal to the controller.

Our control folks changed out everthing including the backplane on this PLC.  They called in the company that programed it, set it up.  I asked them if the had changed the power supply, they told me that would not cause the problem. I didnt argue with them.  4 hours later the control guy asked me to go get the new power supply, they put it in and the problem went away.

I explained all this because if the device that detects the position of the bar uses an analog (variable) signal to detect it position as it moves in it's 360 degree rotation, then any loss of voltage, or increase of voltage (power) we use mil amps 4-20 for controls ,  could create an error.  Error band.  Dead band.

Dont know if I have explained it well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics