Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GTWN3000M1WS No cold water

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hello! And eek.

GE Top-Loading Washer, about 2 years old, very heavy use.

Mod: GTWN3000M1WS

Ser: MV142639G

My washer stopped putting out cold water a couple of days ago. Water flowed fine through both hoses, no problem, but only hot into the machine. No humming or noises at all when it was set to cold. I replaced the water intake valve this morning, and now suddenly the damn thing is working on the cold setting, but not hot! I was sure I must have switched the solenoids, so I opened it back up to check but no, they are both in the right place. I very gently jiggled all the connections I could see, to make sure the wires were all seated, and nothing seemed loose.

This machine has gone from dishonorable to malicious. Please have mercy on my ignorance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,078 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

make sure your electical connections are correct. If ok, then you may need a new temp control switch

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

DurhamAppliance, thank you! By electrical connections, do you mean the wires that connect to the intake valve? 

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,078 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

DurhamAppliance, thank you! By electrical connections, do you mean the wires that connect to the intake valve?

exactamundo

temp control switch part no. wh12x10498 only 8 bucks...if you don't know how to test it, it's cheap enough just to replace...also check connections to the switch

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 25 March 2013 - 03:19 PM.
Added part link.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

You may want to check for voltage coming to the valve. I have had a bad valve right out of thr box before (very rare). DURHAM IS MOST LIKELY  CORRECT THOUGH.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thank you! I will see about replacing the water temp switch tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'll get Mr. Madonna to check the electricity (which I suspect is governed by witchcraft.) I'll update once I get the switch replaced!

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Try going straight to rinse fill, if it doesn't work during rinse fill, it's not the temp switch. The temp switch is bypassed (cold water side) via timer contacts during rinse fill.

Eric

#8 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Fairbank56, I did what you suggested, and it started filling up with hot water! So that means that it *is* a problem with the temp switch, correct?

#9 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

I think you either have the solenoids connected wrong or you connected the hoses backwards after you changed the valve. I don't have the exact wiring diagram for your model, can you post a photo of it? The tech sheet should be located inside the control panel.

Eric

#10 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yes sir! It will take me just a moment to scan that in.

I misspoke when I said the washer was filling with hot water; it was cold, but I had turned the dial to 'hot', and the water was running. Just to be sure I'm including a picture of the solenoid connections, which are red and blue. There is also an 'H' and a 'C' marked over the appropriate inlet valve on the outside of the washer, so I think/hope that I connected them correctly. 

CAM00870.jpg

Edited by LadyMadonna, 26 March 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#11 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Here is the wiring diagram:

washer001.jpg

#12 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ok, you have 3 temp settings. Cold/Cold, Warm/Cold, and Hot/Cold.  The first designation is for the wash cycle and the second is for the rinse cycle. You only have a Cold water rinse option. So now we know your hoses are connected correctly as are the valves and the cold rinse works. If you are not getting cold water on the Cold/Cold setting in the normal wash cycle then most likely the temperature switch is faulty although it could also be the timer. The only way to tell is to check with a multimeter. The photo is very hard to read. I would like to have a higher resolution copy if you wouldn't mind.

Eric

#13 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Eric,

Thank you! I will go ahead and have the hubs check the wiring, to see if it's the switch or the timer. Here is a bigger scan of the wiring aper:

washer002.jpg

#14 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the photo. Could I trouble you for high res photo of the rest of the tech sheet, especially the timer chart. Trying to help someone else with same model but different problem and need the rest of the info. Their's doesn't have the tech sheet.

Thanks,

Eric

#15 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Oh, absolutely! I will get that up here in just a moment...

#16 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

washertimerchart001.jpg

washertimerchart002.jpg

washertimerchart003.jpg

#17 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thank you very much. How is the washer repair going?

Eric

#18 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Still waiting on the Man With The Multimeter, thanks for asking. :-) I will definitely update when it's fixed, or after I've thrown it off an overpass in frustration...

#19 LadyMadonna

LadyMadonna

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Update with a qualified 'woo-hoo!'.

Okay, so it's working again, and I'm not sure why. After returning the tech sheet back to the control and screwing everything back into place, all the settings are functional. Mr. Madonna never did get around to testing the wires for me; my theory is that either something was jostled back into place, or the Appliance Fairies came in the night. Either way, I will keep an eye on it and replace the switch and/or the timer if the problem repeats itself.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help and support this forum provides. You all are amazing philanthropists. :-)

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

After returning the tech sheet back to the control 

That's what fixed it!  They're starting to program the appliances so that they stop working if the tech sheet is removed.  What?  You don't believe me?

pinocchio-copy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics