Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SAMSUNG REFRIDGERATOR

SYSTEM LEAK

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:rootbeer

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Master please help,

I nhave a Samsung R/F Model # RFG295AAWP/XAA.The first trip I made to customer home found no cool in refridgerator and freezer.Both compartments warm.Ther customer was using another R/F at this point.I determined that there was a system leak .Thought I found it but not sure.I tapped the low side and evacuated,pulled down a vacum and it held.So I put a charge in it according to the placard 6.75 oz and it began to work.Called the customer a few days later and everything was working great.That was a month ago.They called today and said the freezer section is not working but the refridgerator section seems to be ok.I know this has a dual evaporator and can get a little tricky.Any help or experience would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Check out evap pattern, freezer fan/ thermistors (freezer and evap) and three way valve. If all of that checks out and no sealed system failure, then you have a mainboard problem

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Dear Master thats great.Could you elaborate on how to check TDM VALVE the three way valve.Iam not sure on that.

I will check everything else.

Thanks SAMANERA

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Checking on manual as there are some samsung RF dual evap models that do not use a diverter....

back...no manual but I do not see a diverter on the diagram but that's nothing new for samsung or my bad eyes. If no diverter then If I'm not mistaken, these Samsung fridges send refrigerant to the fridge evap first then to the freezer leaving the possibility there is a stricture in the line between fridge and freezer or not sufficient refrigerant.

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I would put it in force mode and just double check all the fans and the defrost components. You never know, maybe its a complete different problem from when you were there the first time. I wouldnt think its a restriction if there is no diverter valve and the refrigerator is working. possibly still a leak? 

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

This unit does have a tdm valve according to the service manual and actually seeing it in the unit.

Iam going there on thursday and will check out everything and let u guys know what I find.

Iam limited on experience finding leaks,was hoping you vets could tell me where you are most likely to find a leak and what you put in the system to check for it.

Thank you

SAMANERA

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

then the manual will tell you testing procedures for the diverter....actually it will have you check to see if it is receiving voltage from the board.  I cannot be of any assistance regarding common location of leaks.

#8 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

I cant help with detecting leaks either, sorry. I would really check that diverter though. I know that had problems with some models. let me know what you find. Also, make sure you have the "fast track manual" before u head to the job. good luck.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#9 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for your inputs. Went back today and the frost pattern on the freezer evaporator suggested that it was in deed a leak.I used my leak detector,pulled evap covers off both fridge and freezer and could not find the leak.Double checked the area around thye compressor and the drier and the TDM valve again.I now know that the leak must be inside where you cant service it.

Its hard for me to beleive that somebody didnt solder it correctly when manufactured.Especially knowing that there is no way to get to this once unit is put together.Oh well.It must have been made on a monday or friday

Samanera

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Or a stricture in the line. That's why I don't do sealed system work. There is lots of money in it but equal amounts of headaches.

#11 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

try  leak seal any brand will do about $ 55-70  claim to work up to a 1.5 ton.   Used it 30 times or more in last 2 years, unless you have huge leak like GE low side rusted line.

I let customer know it is a gamble, no refunds but beats buying new fridge.

In those 30 times i've been back 2 times to a recall, 1 Frigidaire freezer had to add 1 more can been 2 years.

The other was last week , & waiting to see.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

I let customer know it is a gamble, no refunds but beats buying new fridge.

That's the way to handle it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics