Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSS20DBMB not staying cold in freezer or Ref side

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Went out on call for GE SxS m# GSS20DBMB with cooling problem.  Customer said that sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't.

I troubleshot the board.  Jumped the compressor to the points on the board and the compressor started right up.  All the fans were working when I got there, there was no evidence of a defrost problem.  The board was # WR55X10656.  It seems that there have been many problems with this board, so all of this led me to replace the board.  After I replaced board with new board part# WR55X10942, and plugged in the unit, the compressor, condensor fan, and evap fan all came on and the evap coils began to get cold.  I packed up and left.  Two days later, customer calls back with same no cooling problem.  Any thoughts?

Edited by aasnowskate, 28 March 2013 - 08:14 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Defective thermistors.

Probably on the evaporator.

#3 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

After looking at the service manual, that is what I was thinking.  Any thoughts on why the compressor was not running but the fans were when I got there? 

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Went out on call for GE SxS m# GSS20DBMB

http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

ALSO, did you follow the M/B installation steps ?

including Step 2

"ENCODER models with the following serial number
prefixes: TD2, VD2, ZD2, AF2, DF2, FF2, GF2, HF2,
LF2, MF2, RF2, SF2 . . . "

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

I saw the instructions you are referring to. The serial # started TA so I didn't change anything. I'm going back today to check thermistor.

#6 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Went back to check it out. Found all thermistors reading proper ohms. When I got there the unit was cooling properly with both fans running. I cleaned the condenser coil out better. I think the start relay could be faulty. I told the customer to call me in the morning with an update.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,159 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

I think the start relay could be faulty. 

These can be tricky to catch if they're on the way to failing but not quite dead yet.  Did you ohm between the pins for the compressor windings?  Should be something low and stay stable when you shake the relay while with your probes in the holes.  

#8 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

I did not ohm the compressor windings.  When I was there the third time, the compressor was working fine.  I had cold air in the freezer and the ice pack that was in there was frozen solid.  I still have not heard back from customer.  If she calls back saying it is still not working properly, I will check the the windings.  I found out yesterday that the ref. had been problematic for several weeks now.  I am wondering if the falty board caused a strain on the start relay. I still think the board was bad because on my first trip out, the compressor would not run unless I jumped the white to orange (line to compressor) on the board.  By looking at the posts on this site, it seems that the board in question has caused many problems to many people.

#9 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:PEPSI NEXT

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I had kinda the same issue customer said that it would not stay cold all the time ( cold warm cold warm ) changed board  but this did not help so I change all thermistors and no call back.

#10 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

When you replaced the thermistors, did the ones you replaced check out ok?  I just had the customer call back today, a week after the last trip out and she is saying it is not working properly again. 

Edited by aasnowskate, 11 April 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#11 vincef

vincef

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Change the relay/overload/start capacitor. On bottom freezer models I will change the board which is clearly burnt

and somehow how the relay assy goes bad also. I've had to do it 3 times in the past two weeks. Weird.

VF

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,159 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Change the relay/overload/start capacitor. On bottom freezer models I will change the board which is clearly burnt

and somehow how the relay assy goes bad also. I've had to do it 3 times in the past two weeks. Weird.

VF

While I'm saying that's definitely what's happening in this case, I have seen this exact failure cascade in a Kitchenaid refrigerator with the ADC board & mechanical cold control.  Can be very tricky to catch in the act.

#13 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

I've seen the board and the start relays fail at the same time before on GE bottom mounts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics