Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
madtripper

Frigidaire Compressor

4 posts in this topic

I started to notice a noise coming from my icebox over the last few weeks and wondered if something was about to go south with my refrigerator.  I just purchased a new ATV for the homestead so I thought that it would make sense for something major to fail given Murphy's law as it applies to my world.  Forgive me as I don't have the model information however after reviewing the flow chart for troubleshooting, I think I may know the answer.

I woke this morning to see a puddle of water on my floor.  My unit is a Frigedaire side by side with ice and water dispenser purchased around 2003.  When I opened the freezer, all of my stores were defrosted.  The refrigerator side was still cool but warming quickly.  I pulled it from the wall and looked at the business end.  The condenser fan was running, coils were still clean and dust free for the most part, and I could hear that the compressor was trying to start every 2 minutes or so but to no avail.  On the big black ball there appears to be a small module I believe holds the compressor pump but not sure.  This seems to be the source of the buzzing sound.  

I managed to salvage most of the refrigerator side and place them into a spare fridge in my basement reserved for Molson Canadians.  This presents two issues for me.  One, I have to go to the basement for anything at the moment until I either fix or replace my injured appliance; Two, the Canadians are threatening with uprise as they have been displaced from their perfect home.

Not crazy about the thought however I will purchase a new unit if necessary.  I'm comfortable with any electronic changeout however not much experience with refrigerants.  Any advice welcome and thanks again.

Tripper

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

may just be a simple bad Start Relay (plug & play) on the Compressor ..

but would need Fridge model number

Here's the test from the Samurai:

Turns out my refrigerator was from 2003.  I went and purchased a new one because I really couldn't afford to have it down however I think I will still try and repair this unit.  

Thanks for posting the video and I will troubleshoot and see what I find.  I did plug the refrigerator in after being unplugged overnight and it fired off appropriately.  The condenser fan was and has been operating appropriately.  Any further advice welcome and I can hopefully get the module off the compressor this evening and test resistance.

Tripper