Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New dryer works great, but fills house with a hum noise

24 replies to this topic

#1 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Never had this issue. Standard Whirlpool dryer like I have had for years, but it fills the house with a low, audible hummmmmmmmmmmm..... the dryer itself makes this noise. I hate to have to go through returning this thing. Any hope?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Is it a 60 cycle hum? Coming from the motor?

#3 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I don't know what that means, but I can't be sure if it is motor or a hum created by the over all operation of the dryer. My guess is that it is a motor hum.

#4 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Eh, I called the store. They are looking into it. Hopefully there is a solution.

#5 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

The early stages of a motor failure exhibits the famous 60 cycle hum.  120 volts is supplied to the motor; if any of the windings begin to short; there is not enough induction, the rotor of the motor stalls and eventually locks (locked rotor amps) draws excessive current and trips the internal/external overload on the motor. Before this occurs, if a winding in the motor is shorting, you will hear a buzzing noise which is the 60 cycle frequency of the 120 volt supply indicating (perhaps) a failing motor.  

#6 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ok, no not a buzzing noise.  It doesn't always occure right away.  Seems to send a frequency through the house as it warms up.  Just an annoying hummmmmmm... in every room, especially the one directly above it.  The store sent out a tech from Doc's Appliance (the repair business they use).  After sticking around for a while, the noise finally occured, then stuck around for the rest of his visit.  He agreed that it is very annoying.  He didn't know what to do since it didn't sound like the dryer was "defective".  The tech is coming back out with a supervisor.

One thing I noticed.... and maybe all dryers did this, but I never took note of it... listening to the air flow outside, there is a regular, continious slowdown/almost stalling of the rush of air.  It is obvious that this occurs when the clothes drop in front of the air outlet inside the dryer.  I really do not recall ever hearing this obvious drop in airflow before.  Seems very obvious on this new dryer.

#7 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

In old well worn dryers , i have seen a gasket rub noise

Whirlpool's where well known for this , it would even turn into a squeal as the dryer comes to a stop

the repair is a spray silicone , sprayed on the rear felt gasket from the outside of the drum

and a little vegetable oil (just a few drops ) on the front felt strip 

I have "cured" a lot of noisy dryers this way

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#8 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

For the record, this is a brand new dryer. Had it less than a week.

#9 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Two things seem possible: First, it is possible the dryer is generating electromagnetic interference--i.e a bad motor or control, or Second, (which seems more likely) the dryer is "harmonizing" (syncing) with some other piece of electronic equipment in the house. This is why some appliances that are electronic now have "line filters" to stop unwanted interference between electronic devices. Unplug all other electronic devices in the house and then try running the dryer. If the hum goes away, then you've found the source--electromagnetic interference.

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,423 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

I've seen loose strings on dryer elements vibrate and hum, not unlike a guitar string. I generally have found this on the large circular GE elements. But just in case, does this noise happen in the air fluff cycle as well?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#11 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Also, a possibility (if it's a gas dryer)----gas valves on some WPs now causing a "hum". 

#12 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Many gas valves on Whirlpool built machines develop a loud hum, takes a new valve to correct

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#13 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

The "doc" came out again today and insulated the bottom bracket of the motor.  I thought that did the trick, but no.  Hour after he left, the hum is back more than ever.

I will shut anything down to see if it the electromagnetic interference.  I will also crawl around the dryer to see if I hear it more near the gas valve.

I did call the store and it looks like this will be going back for a different dryer in a few days.  As always, thanks for all the clues thus far.  We shall see....

#14 NickG

NickG

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Only things on were the washer and TV.  Shut them both down and the noise was still there.

Turned dryer to fluff.  Took off inspection cover to make sure no flame.  Noise was still there.

Putting an era to the top of the dryer, you can still hear.  Putting an ear to the side of the dryer, it is VERY loud that way.

#15 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

When the doc had the unit apart, did he check the mechanical features of the unit---rollers, bearings, idler tension? If the noise came back an hour later (assuming you were running the unit about that amount of time) you may have a shorted motor winding or mechanical failure on the unit that is heat induced.  Can we have a model number and which side of the dryer is the noise coming from standing in front of the machine?  

Edited by Wingerman, 04 April 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Oh, so now it's a gas dryer?  Now that's why posting model numbers is important. Where I'm from, if you say "standard dryer" you sho' ain't talking 'bout no gas. I should have nipped this post it in the bud when I didn't see a model number but I was assuming standard meant....well... I promise to be more vigilant next time.

#17 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Problably will not apply to your particular issue but...

If the dryer has been converted to vent from the side rather than the rear (side discharge conversion kit)...

On occassion---the metal plate that is installed---at the rear of the dryer to cover the original vent hole---can be a source of noise.

Usually a "bzzzzzzzzz" sound.

Correction: Add insulation/sound deadening on metal cover (eliminate metal-to-metal contact).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Problably will not apply to your particular issue but...

If the dryer has been converted to vent from the side rather than the rear (side discharge conversion kit)...

On occassion---the metal plate that is installed---at the rear of the dryer to cover the original vent hole---can be a source of noise.

Usually a "bzzzzzzzzz" sound.

Correction: Add insulation/sound deadening on metal cover (eliminate metal-to-metal contact).

had that happen to a dryer once after I installed it...couldn't figure what the hell was going on...found out the vent was buzzing...hadn't been changed, but could have been moved during transport (and no, I didn't use the dolly from the rear!)

#19 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

I have found that the armature is loose from the main shaft on new dryer, new motor fixed it.

wtf... font shrinkage?

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 09 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.
Fixed the font shrinkage :)

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#20 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Loose armature=60 hertz hum! In the business we call that "pull in"

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Early-stage AC motor failure and the famous 60 hertz hum

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 30 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Source:  New dryer works great, but fills house with a hum noise

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics