Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Washer Door Boot Inner Spring Clamp Removal Tool

LG washer door boot gasket tool 383EER4004A

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

So I replaced the door boot on an LG washer today.  It was part of stack unit and the dryer had to be removed so I took one of my sons with me.  And thank God he was there!  Even though I had purchased both outer and inner tub clamp removal tools, I would not have gotten the inner tub clamp back on using the inner tub clamp removal tool.   Turns out the tool does not open quite wide enough to grab the clamp loop and spring loop.  The tool needs to be modified by using a torch to bend one of the fingers out wider.  Ended up not using the inner clamp tool at all.  Removed the inner clamp with a screwdriver and put the clamp back together using a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers (from my Maytag tool roll).  This would not have worked had my son not been there to secure the other end of the clamp while I used the needle nose pliers to lift the spring loop up onto the hook.   Just a heads up for anyone else out there thinking the inner clamp tool will actually work as-is.  

Anyone else run into this before?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

The inner tool works fine, u have to hook it around end of spring use a small screwdriver to finish puttin on, takes about 20 minutes with dryer left on top

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

You don't remove the front panel to replace the boot? I don't for Duets, wouldn't have gotten that inner clamp on with the front panel still on that LG.

#4 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Dont take the font panel off for anything, except the old maytag mah3000

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Not even to replace the pump on a Samsung front loader?

I just don't see how I woulda gotten that inner boot clamp back on with the front panel still on. This new learning amazes me, Sir Mark Mac. Please enlighten me!

#6 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Buckler

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have the LG tools and have used them just fine. I have not tried to change the boot with the front on though. When I run into stack mounted units I usually just:

*remove the mount screws

*remove top cover screws

*slide top cover back to expose front panel screws

*disassemble normally from there.

works good for boot, drain pump or heater issues.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Good tips, Brother Ohm! I'll remember that for the next one. On this particular job, the stack unit was in a closet so there was no way to get to the top panel screws without taking the dryer down, which was easy enough to do with my 18 year old son there helping me. But that was definitely an unusual installation.

How did you get enough room to remove the control panel screw inside the machine with the top panel just slid back? It only slides back a few inches. Did you use a stubby or offset ratcheting driver?

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

While on break from a refrigeration class during ASTI,  I stumbled into a washing machine class....not sure what brand but they were putting back together a front loader and the students were trying out this tool..

480_zps4aa79c7c.jpg

not sure of their results since I had to stumble back to the class I was taking.....

http://www.reliablep...d-Tools-461459#

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

OMG, Brother Durham you just hit a homerun!  I even used that tool on the GE washer disassembly during class and I flippin' forgot all about it!  How's that for a brain impaired by waay too much substance abuse in its younger years?  Mucho mega domos for the reminder-- THAT's the tool I needed this morning.  That's what I be tawkin' about, yo!  :rocker:  :samurai:  :dude:

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

OMG, Brother Durham you just hit a homerun!  I even used that tool on the GE washer disassembly during class and I flippin' forgot all about it!  How's that for a brain impaired by waay too much substance abuse in its younger years?  Mucho mega domos for the reminder-- THAT's the tool I needed this morning.  That's what I be tawkin' about, yo!  :rocker:  :samurai:  :dude:

I thought you were in that class when I stumbled in but age is catching up to me and couldn't remember.

#11 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

i have used the lg tool many times without a problem, not saying it was easy but it worked, better the the Frigidaires.  I also do not take off the front panel

#12 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Good tips, Brother Ohm! I'll remember that for the next one. On this particular job, the stack unit was in a closet so there was no way to get to the top panel screws without taking the dryer down, which was easy enough to do with my 18 year old son there helping me. But that was definitely an unusual installation.

How did you get enough room to remove the control panel screw inside the machine with the top panel just slid back? It only slides back a few inches. Did you use a stubby or offset ratcheting driver?

I want to say that I got the lid back far enough to use a stubby screwdriver, but honestly.. I can't remember. I know I have run into this with a few samsung units and not sure if I have done an LG this way (although they are very similar or course) I always carry a Gearwrench Microdriver kdt-85035.gif

and my favorite shorty screwdriver is this Craftsman Screwdriver. 00947185000-1?hei=400&wid=400&op_sharpen

It has a full size handle and a short blade for really good access without having to go all the way to a full stubby.

BTW, my goto stubby is the Klien 32561 A16F_129828757319908496mxIqPd9I9u.jpg

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Tool talk.... Yea! I just purchased that microwrench set from lowes a couple of weeks ago. It is a kobalt set but many kobalt, craftsmen and gearwrench tools are made by Danaher. If i'd known i could get it under the Gearwrench name, I would have. Although the same, I have a number of Gearwrench stuff and have come to respect them. My goto stubby is a ratcheting Bahco, a company owned by Snapon. $22 on Amazon btw also on Amazon for $40 you can get a great snapon made full size ratcheting screwdriver made under the JH Williams brand. This is the USA made JH Willams/snap on (i understand there is some Taiwanese made JH williams tools) and is nothing more than a snapon but about $40 cheaper. Model WRS-1. Been using one for three years and there is no difference between it and my snapon

#14 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

480_zps4aa79c7c.jpg

Thank you mister Durham, I'm ordering 1 tomorrow.

Edited by tpoindexter, 31 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Test

#15 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Tool talk.... Yea! I just purchased that microwrench set from lowes a couple of weeks ago. It is a kobalt set but many kobalt, craftsmen and gearwrench tools are made by Danaher. If i'd known i could get it under the Gearwrench name, I would have. Although the same, I have a number of Gearwrench stuff and have come to respect them. My goto stubby is a ratcheting Bahco, a company owned by Snapon. $22 on Amazon btw also on Amazon for $40 you can get a great snapon made full size ratcheting screwdriver made under the JH Williams brand. This is the USA made JH Willams/snap on (i understand there is some Taiwanese made JH williams tools) and is nothing more than a snapon but about $40 cheaper. Model WRS-1. Been using one for three years and there is no difference between it and my snapon

Great info. I do appreciate quality tools. I use the snap-on ratcheting screwdriver as my main screwdriver,

dscn5452r.jpg

but also carry Wiha drivers with me as well. The Wiha Microfinish HD is the best friggen philips driver I have ever owned or used. Tips are nearly indestructible and have a death grip on the fastener!

51ULt9QcTgL._AA1350_.jpg

Someday I might make a toolbag video

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

480_zps4aa79c7c.jpg

Thank you mister Durham, I'm ordering 1 tomorrow.

TSE-1
:whistling:
OR $ 27.95 shipped on that auction website
3 available / 1 sold

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#17 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Also, you can get the microdrive under the Husky name with less bits:

http://www.homedepot...73#.UVj921f4KFI

dac8901f-5d3a-45c7-8434-e28b8f58eb7a_300

I actually just carry the driver as the bits/sockets are redundant for me and the full Gearwrench kit takes up too much space in my bag. I have a Pro-Pac Tech-LC and I try and carry everything i can jam in there ;-)

Edited by Ohm, 31 March 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I actually just carry the driver as the bits/sockets are redundant for me and the full Gearwrench kit takes up too much space in my bag. I have a Pro-Pac Tech-LC and I try and carry everything i can jam in there ;-)

Lol  I do the same... I just carry the driver. I use the LC as well and have the clip on diagnostic bag. I keep the microwrench driver in the diagnostic bag along with other small sized tools....sometimes I like to try and do a repair with just the micro tools in that bag...sort of like catching a large fish with light tackle

btw...back on my laptop so I can cut and paste better....compare this with the snap on...51nYxZjwZnL_SL1460__zps6daa791a.jpg

#19 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

<<<How did you get enough room to remove the control panel screw inside the machine with the top panel just slid back? It only slides back a few inches. Did you use a stubby or offset ratcheting driver?>>>

For a stacked LG washer/dryer----not "shoehorned" into a tight location---slide the washer top cover and dryer rearward about 1 to 2 inches.

Carefully lift/push dryer (tilt back) and place a small 2x4 wood block at each corner.
Use stubby phillips.

Keep your 3rd eye on the dryer at all times during the repair process---especially if it's a gas dryer...

Read more: http://appliantology.../#ixzz2PBBovu7O
Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#20 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

lol Thanks John for pulling us back on topic !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LG, washer, door boot, gasket, tool, 383EER4004A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics